Re: Pointer: The Superhighway Steamroller

Christian L. Mogensen (mogens@CS.Stanford.EDU)
Mon, 27 Jun 1994 02:08:38 -0700 (PDT)

Mary Morris writes:

> > >refer to it:

> > Tim - if there is such a host, what would a globally-valid URI look like ?

> Actually surprizingly enough, the line above does access the
> posting directly. I don't understand how newsgroup name semantics
> maps to GUTNBERG, but it does.

Well it should - it's a universal unique article ID, generated by the
posting system when the article is submitted, or in this case by the
mailing-list to news gateway. Theoretically this id can be any random
string, but then there is always the chance of two systems generating
the same article ID. Hence IDs usually have the site-name
(VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU) a time stamp (940625) and a random # component.

If your newsreader (be it Mosaic or trn) doesn't recognize the
article, then it is because netnews is a flood protocol and the
article hasn't reached your site - or your site doesn't carry the
newsgroup in question, in which case you won't see the article at all.

Christian "there's enough of usenet as it is"