Re: Pointer: The Superhighway Steamroller

Michael A. Dolan (miked@CERF.NET)
Mon, 27 Jun 1994 07:07:42 -0700

At 07:26 PM 6/26/94 +0800, Mary Morris wrote:

>> >The article is copyrighted and reposting is explicitly forbidden, but I can
>> >refer to it:

>Actually surprizingly enough, the line above does access the
>posting directly. I don't understand how newsgroup name semantics
>maps to GUTNBERG, but it does.

Perhaps from your news feed. Mine does not have this article. News
articles are organized by group, but stored by message_id (which is what
the above is - GUTNBERG is part of the message_id syntax, not a group).
If one's news feed has the article, the above works fine (until the article
falls off the nntpd FIFO).

Since Mr. Spero's posting to www, I obviously do not need the article,
however I was also trying to make a point about URI syntax. I occasionally
argue that hostnames should be permitted, which currently they are not.

Mike
Michael A. Dolan - miked@cerfnet.com
TerraByte Technology (619) 445-9070