Re: Auto-Download tags/function?

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@hal.com)
Thu, 19 May 1994 11:15:53 -0500

In message <9405191602.AA00493@hal.com>, Martijn Koster writes:
>>Or you can write
>> HREF="http://host/path;content-type=applicaiton/postscript"
>>and the client should tell the server that it will only Accept: the
>>postscript version of the document.
>
>Maybe I lost track of the original objective, but why would you want
>to do that with a HTTP URL? Tony suggested doing this as a fix for
>protocols that cannot type the data, but HTTP can, and can even
>negotiate it -- why would you want to switch that off?

I believe that a reference should be able to express:

"See _the_postscript_version_ of document xxxx"

I think this is just a desirable feature that we don't have.

I beleive it must not be a private agreement between client and server,
so that, for instance, if a proxy server has the postscript version
cached, it can serve it up, even though there is a possibility that
the document exists in other formats on the original server.

Dan