Re: Auto-Download tags/function?

Martijn Koster (m.koster@nexor.co.uk)
Thu, 19 May 1994 17:02:04 +0100

Tony wrote:

> If the protocol *can't* type the data then the URL should allow some
> place to define this. E.g.: <A
> HREF="ftp://host/file.tar.Z;{content-type=application/x-tarZ};">
> Simply stated, protocol dependent parts should go in the URL space.

And Dan replied:

> OK. Stick it in the URL. As long as it can go in the source anchor
> somewhere, I'm happy.
> Right. You can write:
> HREF="http://host/path"
>and the client will tell the server all the content-types it Accepts:
>Or you can write
> HREF="http://host/path;content-type=applicaiton/postscript"
>and the client should tell the server that it will only Accept: the
>postscript version of the document.

Maybe I lost track of the original objective, but why would you want
to do that with a HTTP URL? Tony suggested doing this as a fix for
protocols that cannot type the data, but HTTP can, and can even
negotiate it -- why would you want to switch that off?

-- Martijn (confused)
Internet: m.koster@nexor.co.uk
WWW: http://web.nexor.co.uk/mak/mak.html