Re: Interest in HTML Conformance?

burchard@geom.umn.edu
Tue, 19 Apr 94 18:29:35 -0500

Marc VanHeyningen <mvanheyn@cs.indiana.edu> writes:
> What exactly do you mean by "alternative" browsers?

You're right -- "alternative" is too vague a word. What I
unfortunately have to think about as a document provider is the
percentage of users trying to browse my server with a particular
client. Ideally, it wouldn't make any difference. But at the
present time it's a problem for documents that need to use features
from HTML+. For example:

wmperry@indiana.edu (William M. Perry) writes:
> If the 'image' input type is put into the HTML+ spec, I will
> put it in my browser. Until then, I will work for using
> 'scribble'.

As of version 2.4, X Mosaic still does not support the HTML+ synonym
for the "image" input ("submit" with a SRC). On the other hand, you
refuse to make the older syntax available. It's not really so
important who is "right" -- it's the disagreements themselves that
are the problem.

Paul Burchard <burchard@geom.umn.edu>
``I'm still learning how to count backwards from infinity...''