Interest in HTML Conformance?

William M. Perry (wmperry@indiana.edu)
Tue, 12 Apr 94 03:48 EDT

DWC> I'm interested in establishing a formal definition of HTML --
DWC> perhaps a few variants including "Minimal HTML Support" (no forms,
DWC> no nested lists, conforming SGML), "Mosaic-2.x Support" (where 2.x
DWC> is some future release of Mosaic which coincides with publication
DWC> of a DTD that it supports).

DWC> Perhaps HTML+ could be incorporated as a level of support.

We discussed this at the TEI-WWW meeting in ireland and had decided to
have 'levels' of browsers. Here is an excertp from the notes we put
together at the end of the meetings:

o Browsers may implement different levels of HTML+ conformance.
* Level 0 implementation
+ HTML 1.0 spec referenced above
* Level 1 implementation
+ Partial fill-out forms
+ New entity definitions (in section 5.1 of HTML+
draft)
* Level 2 implementation
+ Additional presentation tags (sub, sup, strike)
& logical emphasis
+ Full forms support (incl. type checking)
+ Generic emphasis tag
* Level 3 implementation
+ Figures
+ NOTEs and admonishments
* Further levels to be specified

There was some discussion of this after the notes were put on the web,
and most seemed to agree that it was a good thing. I definitely do _NOT_
think this should be based on what any one browser does (unless it is dsr's
html+ browser :)

-Bill P.