Re: Interest in HTML Conformance?

Liam Relihan (relihanl@ul.ie)
Tue, 12 Apr 1994 12:31:11 +0100 (WET DST)

On Tue, 12 Apr 1994, William M. Perry wrote:

> We discussed this at the TEI-WWW meeting in ireland and had decided to
> have 'levels' of browsers. Here is an excertp from the notes we put
> together at the end of the meetings:
>
> o Browsers may implement different levels of HTML+ conformance.
> * Level 0 implementation
> + HTML 1.0 spec referenced above
> * Level 1 implementation
> + Partial fill-out forms
> + New entity definitions (in section 5.1 of HTML+
> draft)
> * Level 2 implementation
> + Additional presentation tags (sub, sup, strike)
> & logical emphasis
> + Full forms support (incl. type checking)
> + Generic emphasis tag
> * Level 3 implementation
> + Figures
> + NOTEs and admonishments
> * Further levels to be specified
>
> There was some discussion of this after the notes were put on the web,
> and most seemed to agree that it was a good thing. I definitely do _NOT_
> think this should be based on what any one browser does (unless it is dsr's
> html+ browser :)

This sounds good...at least it is well defined. It would mean that
there would be no excuse for level 'n' browsers to have different
HTML capabilities to other level 'n' browsers.
The above would need to be elaborated upon, of course.

Of course, for the above to work, we would really need for each level back
to 0 to be specified.

Liam

--
 Liam Relihan,                 |   |\       Voice: +353-61-333644 ext.5015
 CSIS, Schumann Building,   -  |   |_/  -               Fax:+353-61-330876