Re: WWW "versus" gopher

Lou Montulli (montulli@stat1.cc.ukans.edu)
Fri, 11 Mar 1994 01:00:35 --100

> At 9:01 PM 3/10/94 +0000, Jay Glicksman wrote:
> >At the current rate of growth, WWW use on the Internet will pass
> >gopher use (in both packet count and byte count) sometime during this
> >current month (or next month for sure). The raw statistics are below.
>
> This is great.
>
> On the other hand, I can't understand the staggering amount of telnet
> traffic. More than email, almost as much as ftp data, most Internet users
> must still be on character oriented displays?! I guess if the telnet
> numbers start dropping, then we can assume that people are making CGI front
> ends to databases (like the Library of Congress) normally accessed via a
> telnet session.

Those are all the Lynx users. :)

:lou

  *           T H E   U N I V E R S I T Y   O F   K A N S A S              *
  *         Lou  MONTULLI @ Ukanaix.cc.ukans.edu                           *
  *                         Kuhub.cc.ukans.edu      ACS Computing Services *
  *     913/864-0436        Ukanvax.bitnet             Lawrence, KS 66044  *
  *      Let's face it, I'm a nerd, why else would I have a sig file?      *