From: montulli@ukanaix.cc.ukans.edu (Lou Montulli)
To: marca@ncsa.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen)
Subject: RE: Text based hypertext engine for UNIX (SCO)
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 92 11:43:04 CST

> Try looking at Lynx, developed at the University of Kansas.
> It has a superior curses interface to WWW for curser addressable
> terminals and can link together your existing resourses is ways
> WWW can't. You can telnet to KUfacts.cc.ukans.edu and login as
> 'kufacts' for a demo of the system. It is available for
> anonymous ftp from kuhub.cc.ukans.edu in the lynx directory
> as lynx.tar-Z. It curently runs on almost any UNIX system with
> a curses package.
>
> Fascinating... it looks really nice. In what ways can it ``link
> together your existing resourses'' that WWW can't?
>
> Marc

Lynx can rexec programs running on remote hosts, can start inetd applications
on remote hosts and perform transparent rlogins. For instance, say you
have a library database system that is already in place. You simply
add a link such as <!RLOGIN@library.host.edu -user=libcat> and Lynx
would log the user into library.host.edu as user libcat to use the library
system. In our system you can see an example of an rexeced program
by selecting "Organizations Events and Activities" and then selecting
"Events at KU". A database program is evoked on our stat1 system,
(you can see this by typing a '=' before evoking events) the program
querys the user, and the database and then returns data to Lynx.

Lynx can also perform telnet and tn3270 functions, but everyone has those
so why bother talking about them. Although one nice feature about Lynx
is that it can read the hytelnet database, check out hytelnet under
the Internet Toolbox menu.

:Lou
- --
* T H E U N I V E R S I T Y O F K A N S A S *
* Lou MONTULLI @ Ukanvax.bitnet Nothing difficult, *
* Kuhub.cc.ukans.edu is ever easy! *
* UNIX, Ukanaix.cc.ukans.edu ACS Computing Services *
* have more fun! Ukanvm.cc.ukans.edu Lawrence, KS 66044 *