From: Gleason Sackman < glea...@rrnet.com>
Subject: SOFT> NCSA Mosaic 3.0
Date: 1997/01/23
sender: infos...@news.mid.net
organization: Global Internet, Peace of Mind is finally Online!
newsgroups: comp.internet.net-happenings

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 13:59:40 -0800
From: "Thomas Dowling" < tdowl...@OHIOLINK.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list < web4...@library.berkeley.edu>
Subject: NCSA Mosaic 3.0

Those of you joining the party late may not even remember NCSA Mosaic;
I had come to the conclusion that it had reached the end of its
development last April.  But without any fanfare, the folks at NCSA
have put out version 3.0 of their browser, for Windows 95 and Windows
NT only.

It's available for download at

http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/mosaic-w/releaseinfo/download.html

I'm still getting a sense of what it does and doesn't do.  It may be
just a little slower at rendering inline images, apparently doesn't
support Java or JavaScript, and apparently doesn't do frames.  But it
does seem to pretty full support for HTML 3.2, it has an interesting
second window panel that lists your browsing history (I recall this in
Quarterdeck's QMosaic from way back when), has a curious command called
"Build a Site Map" that auto-navigates links from a page and constructs
a hierarchical list of where they go, and probably a couple of other
goodies I haven't found yet.  And it still has a pretty robust kiosk
mode.

It probably won't make you swear off whichever of the Big Two you
prefer, but I'm glad it's around again as an alternative.

Thomas Dowling
Ohio Library and Information Network
tdowl...@ohiolink.edu