From: "Robert B. Denny" < rde...@dc3.com>
Subject: Microsoft Anti-Web Practices - Home Page (REPOST)
Date: 1996/09/10
content-type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
organization: DC3 Dreams
mime-version: 1.0
newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc

[REPOST - Original message was mistakenly tacked on to the end
 of a very old thread.]

O'Reilly & Associates has recently opened a home page where they have
collated technical, press, editorial, and industry information regarding
Microsoft's anti-web and anti-competitive restrictions on TCP/IP usage in
their Windows NT Workstation 4.0 operating system.

  http://software.ora.com/news/ms_internet_frame.html

Yes, their artificial "10 unique incoming IP in 10 minutes" restriction has
(temporarily) been removed from the operating system, yet it remains in
their License Agreement, worded specifically to exclude support of "peer
web services" (whatever _that_ is) for more than "10 users" (whatever a
"user" is). THIS IS A LIMIT ON FUNCTIONALITY OF TCP/IP AND WINDOWS SOCKETS.
MICROSOFT CANNOT CLAIM COMPLIANCE WITH THESE SPECS WHILE THEIR LICENSE
AGREEMENT LIMITS THEIR USE. They can limit the functionality of their own
programs all they want, but they're out of the box to limit the use of
these internet standard protocols by OTHER peoples' programs, yours
included!

THE MOST CONSTRUCTIVE WAY TO STOP THIS ANTI-WEB PRACTICE IS TO LET
MICROSOFT KNOW THAT IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE TO US. SPEAK OUT.

  -- Bob