From: Pete Turner <Pete_Tur...@BAKERBOTTS.COM>
Subject: Re[2]: Newsgroup Archives
Date: 1995/12/05
sender: Bitnet/Internet Help Resource <HELP-...@VM.TEMPLE.EDU>
comments: Gated by NETN...@AUVM.AMERICAN.EDU
newsgroups: bit.listserv.help-net

I haven't been able to connect to DejaNews (it must be a busy site) or I would
be able to answer this myself. Do they skip "smut" like alt.binaries.sounds.midi
(and other newsgroups dedicated to sound files)? Thanks.

On Tue, 5 Dec 1995 09:05:36 CST you wrote:

>I haven't been able to connect to DejaNews (it must be a busy site) or I would
>be able to answer this myself. Do they skip "smut" like
 alt.binaries.sounds.midi
>(and other newsgroups dedicated to sound files)? Thanks.
>

>>Point your web browser to Dejanews at http://www.dejanews.com/  The site keeps
>>archives of almost all the Usenet groups for 1 year (The skip all the "smut"
>>i.e., alt.binaries....).  They re-index their files every two (they say) to
>>four days.

Here is a stripped HTML portion of their help file
 (http://www.dejanews.com/dnbig.html/).

Scope and size of DejaNews

DejaNews has the largest collection of indexed archived Usenet news available
 anywhere.  While WAIS servers typically contain only articles from a limited
 number of newsgroups, DejaNews gives you access to most of the usenet postings
 (articles posted to groups that match alt.*, soc.*, talk.* or *.binaries are
 excluded)  in the last month.  This amounts to over 4Gbytes of
searchable data.

Selected groups have an extended history of up to a year.  As resources
allow, we will plan to eventually offer an entire year of history on
all of the groups (except the excluded ones described above).

If you'd like to have the full-year history of your favorite group
available now, just send us email to gro...@dejanews.com and let us know.
We'll pull the last year's articles for that group off the archive
and add it to the database.  Once it has been added, you'll get
an email confirmation that it's now available.

Gerry Boyd -- gb...@netcom.com