From: Dejanews <i...@dejanews.com>
Subject: DEJANEWS -- Free Usenet searching!
Date: 1995/08/03
distribution: austin
content-type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
organization: Dejanews
x-url: news:alt.books.beatgeneration
mime-version: 1.0
newsgroups: austin.forsale,austin.general,austin.music,austin.talk,austin.jobs,austin.food,austin.autos,austin.personals,austin.politics
x-mailer: Mozilla 1.1N (Macintosh; I; PPC)

Austin Internauts --

DEJANEWS: Free Searching of USENET!

USENET can be a scary place -- it's big, it's disordered, its customs are
byzantine, and tackiness abounds.  Posting to USENET is risky: if you're
not completely on top of what you're talking about you can be fatally
flamed in plain view of millions.  Potentially, this could devastate your
self-esteem.

Truly a sad sight.

But the USENET archives are also a huge repository of unique information.
From want ads for chihuahuas to passionate arguments of Jungian philosophy
and Star Trek TOS to the rather obscure topics discussed on
comp.lang.pascal.delphi.components, USENET covers the gamut of human
experience (and, in the alt groups, perhaps a wee bit more).  There are
those who believe that every relevant question there could ever be has been
asked, and answered, on USENET.  That's a heady thought.  Couldn't some of
those answers help you do whatever it is that you do?

Even more importantly, USENET is about *people*:  their interests, foibles,
strengths, and weaknesses.  USENET is about discussion and connecting with
groups of people from all over planet Earth who talk to each other to pool
information, ask questions, get answers, argue with each other, solve
problems, make snide comments, and have fun.

But in the immensity of USENET, how do you go about finding these people?
How do you discover the answers to your questions?  Without a sophisticated
tool, it can be quite tiring.  How do you separate grains of wheat from a
sea of chaff?  How do you spy the diamond in the rough?  How do you sift a
needle from a mountain of hay? How do you...  You get the idea.

The answer is DEJANEWS.

We are DEJANEWS, an Austin based WWW company, planet-friendly, and totally
hip.  We provide a *free* service which allows you to search the
endlessness of USENET postings by newsgroup, author, date, and keyword.
Searches formerly taking hours (or forever) now take minutes, allowing you
to save time, aggravation, bandwidth, and precious sanity.  With DEJANEWS,
the vastness of USENET is at your command.

DEJANEWS allows you to quickly target and display the information you want,
without wasting horrendous amounts of time slogging through the dreck you
*don't* want.

DEJANEWS's fast search engine lets you display an entire thread of
postings, letting you easily scan the entirety of a particular discussion.
The Author Profile shows you at-a-glance the frequency, followup rate, and
diversity of a given author's postings.  With this feature, you can quickly
locate people with whom you share common interests, and thereby find out
more about the things you care about.  This helps bring all members of the
USENET community closer together, and we think that's a good thing.

So stop reinventing the wheel and check out DEJANEWS.

i...@dejanews.com