From: efr...@void.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Beth Frank)
Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.providers
Subject: Beta sites wanted for NCSA httpd 1.4
Date: 27 Feb 1995 17:48:24 GMT

We are looking for beta sites for NCSA httpd 1.4.

If you would your site to be considered please
send me information about your machine (type,
available memory & OS) and traffice patterns (amount
& type).  We are hope to test on a wide variety
of platforms.

The focus of Release 1.4 is performance improvements.
The primary change is a reduction in the amount of
forking done.

	Sincerely,
		Elizabeth Frank
		HTTPD Development Team
		NCSA, University of IL
		efr...@ncsa.uiuc.edu

|> We are looking for beta sites for NCSA httpd 1.4.
|>
|> If you would your site to be considered please
|> send me information about your machine (type,
|> available memory & OS) and traffice patterns (amount
|> & type).  We are hope to test on a wide variety
|> of platforms.
|>
|> The focus of Release 1.4 is performance improvements.
|> The primary change is a reduction in the amount of
|> forking done.

Beth,

When do you expect to have 1.4 ready for general release ?

Also, have you given up on Rob McCool's policy of letting
everyone test the beta version ?.. that system seemed to
work very well with Rob getting lots of feedback.

Asking about net traffic seems a bit premature. Few busy
web sites will be willing to put a beta server online. Most
testing will surely be performed on an otherwise unused port,
where there will be no traffic. Only after the bugs are gone
will people want to install it properly.

I'm willing to beta test BTW.

thanks,
rob

: |> We are looking for beta sites for NCSA httpd 1.4.
<snip>

: Beth,

: When do you expect to have 1.4 ready for general release ?

Is soon too vague for you? :^)  Sorry, the boss says we're not
allowed to give out more specific dates.

: Also, have you given up on Rob McCool's policy of letting
: everyone test the beta version ?.. that system seemed to
: work very well with Rob getting lots of feedback.

We're trying to get alittle more professional about our
support for httpd.  One thing that means is we want to make
sure that we know who has the beta and that they get explict
notification when the official release comes out (or if
immediate patches are necessary).

Our plan is to carefully select a few sites with a diversity
of platforms and traffic.  If everything goes well with those
sites, we'll provide the beta version to anyone who wants to
beta (gamma?) test for us.  After it runs for a few weeks
with no problems we'll make it generally available.

: Asking about net traffic seems a bit premature. Few busy
: web sites will be willing to put a beta server online. Most
: testing will surely be performed on an otherwise unused port,
: where there will be no traffic. Only after the bugs are gone
: will people want to install it properly.

I understand that.  But some sites are setup to fork incoming
requests to test new servers.  Others will set the beta up on
a light traffic port.  We would like to know what people are
willing to provide us and we'll make our selections for the
first sites accordingly.

: I'm willing to beta test BTW.

Then please mail me (efr...@ncsa.uiuc.edu) information about
what platform you are willing to run 1.4-beta on (machine,
memory & OS) and how much traffic of what type you expect
the server to get.

: thanks,
: rob

	Sincerely,