Newsgroups: news.future
From: e...@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti)
Subject: Bury Usenet.
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1992 01:48:09 GMT

Go to the newsgroup "alt.society.cu-digest" and read
"Bury Usenet".  If you have a good newsreader, the references
line in the header will take you to it.

--Ed

Newsgroups: news.future
From: nel...@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson)
Subject: Re: Bury Usenet.
Sender: ne...@news.clarkson.edu
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1992 14:43:02 GMT

In article <1992Mar3.0...@msen.com> e...@msen.com (Edward Vielmetti) writes:

   Go to the newsgroup "alt.society.cu-digest" and read
   "Bury Usenet".  If you have a good newsreader, the references
   line in the header will take you to it.

I read it.  It has its points.  One Usenet flaw that he missed is the fact
that, since articles are thrown away after (no more than, and usually much
less than) two weeks, an author probably considers his writing to be a
"throw-away".  Another flaw is that Usenet has no corporate memory (other
than FAQ files, which are a blessed innovation).

Perhaps those two problems might be addressed by a new hierarchy with an
expire period of six months?  Because of the context of other "throw-away"
newsgroups, this hierarchy would need to be moderated.  Otherwise you would
have too many people who didn't realize that the "six-month" hierarchy was
different.

In re the "low-bandwidth" argument, Ed, what happened to your attempt to
mark up Usenet postings?  You started that at the end of your comp.archives
reign, but I don't remember it going anywhere...

--
--russ <nel...@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> I'm proud to be a humble Quaker.
Peace is not the absence of war.  Peace is the presence of a system for