Comments: Gated by NETN...@AUVM.AMERICAN.EDU
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.jnet-l
Date:         Thu, 20 Feb 1992 15:31:00 EST
Sender:       BITNIC JNET-L List <JNE...@UGA.BITNET>
From:         Brian Nelson <BR...@UOFT02.UTOLEDO.EDU>
Subject:      Internet intro doc, "Zen and the Art of the Internet"

For those of you who may not have noticed this in comp.os.vms, I'm
posting it to the jnet-l list.

brian nelson
br...@uoft02.utoledo.edu

Newsgroups: comp.os.vms,vmsnet.announce
Subject: Availability of Zen & The Art of the Internet
From: bren...@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe)
Date: 13 Feb 1992 19:01:49 -0500

The announcement below was sent out a little while ago; they're now
more accessible for people that're using VMS, so I thought this was
appropriate.

In addition to the FTP archives listed, the guide is available from
the University of Toledo as a VMS backup saveset:

* Bitnet interactive messages, from a vms host running jnet

        $ send vmsserv@uoft02 send zen-1.package
        this results in a number of files in vmsshare format

        $ send vmsserv@uoft02 send zen-1.ps

* Mail
        send mail to vmss...@uoft02.utoledo.edu

--
         Zen and the Art of the Internet: A Beginner's Guide

I'd like to announce the availability of the first edition of booklet
that I hope will find a wide-spread audience.  It's called ``Zen and
the Art of the Internet'', and serves as an introductory text to using
the Internet in its various incarnations.  In approximately 100 pages,
Zen addresses domain names, electronic mail, telnet and ftp, and a
variety of other topics.  An extensive glossary and fairly decent
bibliography are also included.

This booklet explicitly avoids being oriented towards one specific
operating system or computing environment.  It's not Unix-heavy, nor
does it directly address VMS or any other OS.  Rather, it provides the
fundamental concepts and ideas behind using the Internet, and leaves
the specific details of command options and usage to the local site.

Directors of academic computing services departments for universities
and colleges are encouraged to make copies for their user communities;
system administrators are welcome to offer it to their users, whether
the system be private, commercial, or public; any companies in need of
training or other educational literature may use this booklet as an
aid; and, most of all, "normal users" are invited to use it to help
expand their knowledge of the Internet and the possibilities it
offers.  The author is keenly interested in hearing from anyone
considering large distribution; if you're going to do such a thing,
please drop me a line just to satisfy my curiosity.

Now, how to get it.  Printed copies are currently unavailable (Widener
has no mechanism to deal with this sort of publishing).  However, the
guide is available via anonymous FTP from a number of sites.  It's
stored in three forms: a .tar.Z file (Unix-ites will know what to do
with this), a .dvi file (output from the TeX typesetting system), and
a .PS (Postscript) file.  An ASCII version will be available in the
near future; additionally, Zen is being submitted for acceptance as an
FYI to the RFC editor.

        * ftp.cs.widener.edu [147.31.254.132] in pub/zen as zen-1.0.tar.Z,
          zen-1.0.dvi, and zen-1.0.PS
        * ftp.uu.net [137.39.1.9] in /inet/doc
        * ftp.cs.toronto.edu [128.100.3.6] in pub/zen
        * archie.mcgill.ca in /
        * ftp.utoledo.edu [131.183.1.1] in zen

Please send any comments, questions, whatever, to guide-b...@cs.widener.edu.

Thanks, and I hope you find it useful!

Brendan Kehoe
bren...@cs.widener.edu
--
Brendan Kehoe, Sun Network Manager                      bren...@cs.widener.edu
Widener University                                                 Chester, PA

            This is the .signature that Bell Atlantic doesn't want you to see.