Newsgroups: news.groups
From: pash...@javelin.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown)
Subject: Re: NetNews/CD: USENET News Available on CD-ROM
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1992 22:15:54 GMT

Isn't this a blatant violation of UseNet policy?  Not only are they
advertising on the net, but I would think that a lot of people don't
appreciate their postings being sold for profit without their permission.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

cdn...@sterling.com (Netnews/CD) writes:

> [...]

>to use relatively short news expire times to free up disk space for
>incoming daily news.  Many sites have had to limit the number of groups
>they subscribe to due to the speeds of their modems, the costs of long
>distance phone calls to an upstream USENET feed or the size of the
>available disk space.  NetNews/CD solves these problems by making nearly
>600 Megabytes of USENET news available on CD-ROM each month.

>The purpose of the NetNews series is to assure that the valuable information
>which passes through USENET daily is not lost, as is the case in most
>newsgroups today.  The monthly CDs are generated on the first of each month.

>Yearly subscribers receive 12 months of USENET news on CD-ROM and they
>also receive the yearly NetGems special issue.  The current NetGems CD-ROM
>contains the X Window System Version 11 Release 5 sources, the Free Software
>Foundation's GNU software as well as the USENET comp.sources.* archives.
>It also contains alt.sources and vmsnet.sources archives.  Besides those
>archives, NetGems also contains an archive of the Request For Comments
>(RFCs) available from the NIC which are the basis for most of the existing
>Internet protocols.  The software and RFCs on the NetGems CD were gathered
>on December 29, 1991.

>        X11R5   -  X Window System Release 5, Patchlevel 8
>        gnu     -  GNU software
>        rfcs    -  Request For Comments
>        usenet  -  USENET News source archives
>                     alt.sources,           alt.sources.amiga,
>                     alt.sources.patches,   comp.archives,
>                     comp.archives.admin,   comp.sources.3b1,
>                     comp.sources.amiga,    comp.sources.apple2,
>                     comp.sources.atari.st, comp.sources.bugs,
>                     comp.sources.games,    comp.sources.hp48,
>                     comp.sources.mac,      comp.sources.misc,
>                     comp.sources.reviewed, comp.sources.sun,
>                     comp.sources.unix,     comp.sources.x,
>                     news.answers,          unix-pc,
>                     u3b.sources,           vmsnet.sources

>Specifics:
>	Initially NetNews/CD will be distributed for Sun platforms with
>ISO 9660 support becoming available in March.  The January and February
>CDs will be made available in ISO 9660 format at that time.  NetNews/CD is
>available in both a yearly subscription or monthly issue rate.

>Costs:
>	Yearly subscription + NetGems  -  $349.95 US plus shipping.
>	Individual monthly issues      -   $39.95 US plus shipping.
>        NetGems, Best of '91           -   $49.95 US plus shipping.

>Volume discounts are available.

>Shipping:
>NetGems begins shipping the first week in February, and January's NewNews/CD
>begins shipping on February 15.  Subsequent monthly CDs are being shipped on
>the 15th of each month.
>
>Phone inquiries concerning orders and technical support questions may be
>made between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM CST, Monday through Friday at 1-800-XXX-XXXX
>(or 1-800-XXX-XXXX).  The FAX number is 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX.  There is also

[Numbers deleted by me]

>        cdn...@sterling.com or uunet!sparky!cdnews

Big boo-boo IMHO.

--
	   Practice random violence and senseless acts of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: My writings have NOTHING to do with my employer.  Keep it that way.
Pete Ashdown  pash...@javelin.sim.es.com  ...uunet!javelin.sim.es.com!pashdown

> Isn't this a blatant violation of UseNet policy?  Not only are they
> advertising on the net, but I would think that a lot of people don't
> appreciate their postings being sold for profit without their permission.

It's not just a violation of "Usenet policy", it's almost certainly illegal.

Those who post copyright material to Usenet have obviously given their
consent for the material to be published via the usual Usenet
mechanisms.  However, it is doubtful that they can be considered to
have given their permission, either explicitly or implicitly, for the
material to be duplicated and re-published on CD-ROM.

> cdn...@sterling.com (Netnews/CD) writes:
> >Sterling Software is proud to announce a new service, NetNews/CD, which
> >makes USENET News available on CD-ROM.  Now, with NetNews/CD, the wealth
> >of information available via USENET is archived and readily available
> >when you need it, not just when it arrives.  With NetNews/CD you will
> >be able to keep years of USENET News on your shelf so that you can access
> >and benefit from it at your convenience.
[...]
> >Yearly subscribers receive 12 months of USENET news on CD-ROM and they
> >also receive the yearly NetGems special issue.  The current NetGems CD-ROM
> >contains the X Window System Version 11 Release 5 sources, the Free Software
> >Foundation's GNU software as well as the USENET comp.sources.* archives.
> >It also contains alt.sources and vmsnet.sources archives.
[...]
> >        usenet  -  USENET News source archives
> >                     alt.sources,           alt.sources.amiga,
> >                     alt.sources.patches,   comp.archives,
> >                     comp.archives.admin,   comp.sources.3b1,
> >                     comp.sources.amiga,    comp.sources.apple2,
> >                     comp.sources.atari.st, comp.sources.bugs,
> >                     comp.sources.games,    comp.sources.hp48,
> >                     comp.sources.mac,      comp.sources.misc,
> >                     comp.sources.reviewed, comp.sources.sun,
> >                     comp.sources.unix,     comp.sources.x,
> >                     news.answers,          unix-pc,
> >                     u3b.sources,           vmsnet.sources
[...]
> >Phone inquiries concerning orders and technical support questions may be
> >made between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM CST, Monday through Friday at 1-800-XXX-XXXX
> >(or 1-800-XXX-XXXX).  The FAX number is 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX.  There is also
> >an electronic mail address:
>
> [Numbers deleted by me]
>
> >        cdn...@sterling.com or uunet!sparky!cdnews
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Big boo-boo IMHO.
>
> >The US Mail address is
>
> >        Sterling Software
> >        NetNews/CD
> >        1404 Fort Crook Road South
> >        Bellevue, NE  68005-2969
> >
> >If you have any suggestions or comments we want to hear them. Please feel
> >free to call, write or send email.

mathew

--
"Tolkien's writing appeals also to those with the mental age of a child --
 computer programmers, hippies and most Americans"