From: e...@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)
Newsgroups: news.software.b,news.software.notes,news.software.nntp
Subject: Re: netnews storage representation
Date: 13 Jun 90 01:51:00 GMT
Sender: use...@math.lsa.umich.edu

Nice dodge; if everyone reads news with nntp, you don't need to
store things as one article per file.

I'm from a community where old discussions tend to stay around
"forever" as well (Confer on MTS) so this question hits home.
It's a real shame that we can't dredge out old net.groups articles
from the mists of time and use them in all sorts of creative ways.

I have a couple of useful collections of old netnews articles, and
it would be nice to reconstitute them into something which could
be fetched off an nntp server without too much hassle.  In that
way I could (for example) provide a permanent on-line archival
home for comp.archives, and anyone could simply train their
nntp clients at (some mythical) machine which would be able to
serve the articles up.

I've done a little bit of work here with some software called "Pat"
from Open Text, the Waterloo folks who brought you the New OED
project.  Its native representation for text is one file for the whole
text, with a few additional files to hold indices of various sorts.
Pat lets you do very quick searches on a text or a part of a text.  If
you were to glue it to netnews, one way might be to take the raw
articles, massage them a little bit to put in markers that delineate
the various header fields and boundaries between articles, then turn
an NNTP request like
	article <VIXIE.89Feb27023...@jove.pa.dec.com>
into PAT commands like
	docs msgid including "<VIXIE.89Feb27023...@jove.pa.dec.com>"
	pr.docs.article
assuming that you've properly delineated the "article" and "msgid"
stuff ahead of time.  You might also need to do some cleaning to remove
any tags that were necessary to mark out the various header fields
and reconstruct the original text.

This could work real well for large static collections of text; my
comp.archives collection is about 4 megabytes, but a few tests on a
sun sparcstation suggested that it was taking on the order of 0.05 cpu
seconds per search.  Indexing takes a looooong time though, it looks
like 26 minutes wall clock time last time I did a run.  That's just on
a sparcstation though, I'm sure it would be faster on the DEC gear you
have.

I have heard that Young Minds was going to put together a collection
of old netnews articles on CD-ROM, which I have joked would be the
perfect kind of data to go over for my PhD thesis.  I don't know if
these have hit the market yet.  It would be very nice to have this
sort of a collection accessable by NNTP as well.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <e...@math.lsa.umich.edu>
comp.archives moderator