From: b...@millipore.uucp (Brian Utterback)
Newsgroups: news.software.b
Subject: Which should I use? B or C?
Date: 6 Nov 89 19:51:32 GMT

I am a system administrator with a lot of experience reading news but very
little being a news administrator.

Anyway, I am in the process of bringing up news at our site, and I need to
decide which version to use, B news, C News, or Notes.  I have already acquired
the software for all three and have installed C news, thinking that it was a
new improved news. However, it seems that C news is an efficency rewrite of
B news at some point in time.  Since the majority of the net is using B news and
patches are issued periodically, it seems as if it may actually be the better
choice.  Are there any other choices or issues? I am not on internet so nntp
is out.

Brian Utterback
{bu-tyng,wang,merk,cg-atla}!millipore!blu
(617)275-9200x8245

>However, it seems that C news is an efficency rewrite of
>B news at some point in time.

Not at all.  It's new code.

>Since the majority of the net is using B news and patches are issued
>periodically, it seems as if it may actually be the better choice.

C News doesn't need so many patches.  That's a feature, not a bug.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <c...@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>