From: da...@jane.jpl.nasa.gov (David Robinson)
Newsgroups: news.software.b
Subject: Why call it C news?
Date: 18 Aug 89 20:19:07 GMT

One thing that has puzzled me.  Why is C news called "C" news?  "A"
(the original) had a completely different article format from "B"
news.  Special processing is required to process an A article under
B news.  C news uses the same transport protocol, same message format,
and from the outside looks identical to B news.  Except for the minor
changes to the history file it appears to just be a total rewrite
of the B news code, just like 3.0 news (aka TMNN).

I can see the possible confusion with 3.0 news in the numbering
scheme but didn't C news start first?  Why wasn't it news 3.0?

	-David

P.S. I use C news and think that Geoff and Henry have done an amazingly
good job on the code, I just wonder about the name.

	David Robinson		elroy!da...@csvax.caltech.edu     ARPA
				da...@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov	  ARPA
				{cit-vax,ames}!elroy!david	  UUCP
Disclaimer: No one listens to me anyway!