From: kow...@studsys.mu.edu (kowalski)
Newsgroups: comp.newprod,comp.dcom.modems
Subject: HST Package for USENET
Date: 15 Mar 89 00:11:26 GMT
Sender: use...@mcdchg.chi.il.us

[This doesn't seem to be (strictly speaking) a new product announcement,
but seemed like it might have wide-spread interest.  I apologize to any
offended by its nature.  -mod]

                               USENET NODES
                                   NOW
                         GET UNIVERSAL HIGH SPEED
                       MODEM COMPATIBILITY AND SAVE
                                 $1,100!!

As a USENET node, I'm sure you are interested in reduced board time and
lower phone bills through the use of high speed modems.  However, up to
now you had to choose a proprietary non-standard high speed modem or a
high priced incompatible V.32 modem.

Now authorized USENET nodes can upgrade their boards to full V.32
compatibility at an extraordinary savings.

U.S. Robotics-- the leader in high speed modems to the sysop community--
is offering USENET nodes the fully CCITT V.32 compatible, Courier Dual
Standard high speed modem for only $699.  A savings of $900 off the list
price!

UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY FOR YOUR BOARD!!!

V.32 is the CCITT standard for high speed modems (9600 bps).  It is the
only standard.  The HST is the defacto standard for sysop communications
with over 5,000 nodes installed.

With the HST Dual Standard, you now can have both.

That's right, 9600 bps world wide V.32 compatibility, plus access to the
entire installed base of HST's.  And at a price some companies charge for
their 2400 bps modems.

The HST Dual Standard supports not only high speed V.32, but also 2400,
1200, and 300 bps, ensuring you that your node can now talk to everyone--
worldwide!

A special bonus for High Speed modem users--

Over the years, many of you may have purchased non-standard modems.  The
problem-- they are only single sourced and they are NOT V.32 compatible.
If you have one of these non-standard products (and we won't mention any
names), USR will give you a special bonus--

Get HST/ix software (a $300 value) for $100-- an additional $200
savings!!!

The HST/ix software provides full UUCP communications, plus data
compression for through put up to 30,000 bps.  It's one of the most
powerful UNIX communications products on the market-- and we'll give you
this software at $200 off the suggested retail price if you give us your
old modem in exchange for the Dual Standard.  That's right-- give us your
old modem and we'll give you $200 off the price of HST/ix software.*

You get--

     - Universal Modulation Compatibility-- V.32, V.22 bis, V.21, Bell
       103, plus HST mode;

     - Powerful Communications Software; AND

     - $1,100 off our suggested list price of both
       products !!!

ACT NOW - it's a unique opportunity.  Here's all you need to do:

1.)  First contact USR at 1-800-Dial USR and speak to Susan Pompa--
     she'll ask you a few questions about your board.

2.)  Then send us $699 (check or money order).  Don't send us your old
     modem yet-- we wouldn't want your board to be down for one minute.

3.)  When you receive your USR Dual Standard, install it on your board
     and send us your warranty card, your old modem and $100.  We'll send
     you the HST/ix software, a $300 value.

The only restriction-- you must be a valid USENET node and you must act
before April 30, 1989.

You're important to U.S. Robotics.

USR has been the sysop standard for over four years-- first with our
Courier 2400 then with the high speed Courier HST.  We have a long term
commitment to BBS operators.  We believe that you are important to us and
to our industry-- and we want to support your efforts.  We want to help
you maintain your board with the latest communications equipment.

With the HST Dual Standard, we have the best USENET node solution.  In
short--your node will be able to communicate with everyone.  It's our way
of introducing the product to the UNIX community and to support your
USENET efforts.

Now--Don't forget!!

You must act before April 30, 1989 to get the--

          - HST Dual Standard (with full V.32 compatibility), PLUS  -
            HST/ix software,

     AND  - Save $1,100.

We appreciate the opportunity to support you and I hope you take
advantage of this great opportunity.

Sincerely,
Robert P. Polychron
Director of North American Sales

P.S. Remember to get the ball rolling, just call Susan Pompa at 1-800-
Dial USR or 312-982-5001.