From: al...@c3pe.UUCP (Aliza R. Panitz (AlmostLady))
Newsgroups: talk.bizarre,alt.flame,news.admin
Subject: Commercial Newsfeeds (Was: something else)
Date: 5 Sep 88 22:59:57 GMT

   PLEASE NOTE:  The article I am quoting came from (eek!) talk.bizarre
   and alt.flame.  The point it was raising, and which I am emphasizing,
   is (purportedly :-> ) a bit more serious.  I have directed followups
   to news.admin.  If your followup belongs elsewhere, please edit the
   [fg]roups and followup lines.

In article <6...@gryphon.CTS.COM> rich...@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <5...@ecsvax.uncecs.edu> dev.null writes:
>>I vote we boycott ANYTHING to/from Portal until that sys admin
>>starts controlling what comes out of there.
>
>Meybe we could figure out how many phone lines portal has, and
>all take turns hogging them so none of their regular users
>can log on.
>
>On a more serious side, it's a new trend in USENETness. This is not
>some company supporting USENET as a sideline, this is their
>business. One of their feeds, UUNET feeds them as a business.
>If a company or Uni[versity] gets annoyed at one of their (l)users,
>they just ``desupport'' them. Now that these bozos are paying
>customers, the dark side of this arrangement is they don't have
>the kind fof freedom to do what they want about rabid low grade
>morons like these. They're *customers*.
>
>Portal and uunet. The whores of the NET.

Take a look at the monthly statistics.  Three of the highest volume systems
are "pay uucp" arrangements - portal.cup.com, dasys (a.k.a. Electric Cat)
and killer.

The demographic load profile of Usenet and news changes considerably when
a signifigant portion is generated by people whose primary use of the
machines is for news and mail.

Maybe this is something to consider in discussions of the future of the net.
(This is the first time I've seen the issue raised in News, but it's been
on my mind for a while)

--
- Aliza (AlmostLady) (decuac.dec.com!c3pe!aliza or backbone!decuac!c3pe!aliza)

It's football season!!!  I can read the sports page again!!!