From: att...@ihnp4.att.com (Harold Jackson)
Newsgroups: news.announce.important,news.config
Subject: third party email through AT&T machines to be discontinued
Date: 3 Jun 88 14:32:01 GMT
Sender: ma...@cblpf.ATT.COM

Many of you know ihnp4 as one of the best connected machines on the
UUCP network.  Because it is so well connected, well run, and has smart
routing software, many people have chosen to send much of their
electronic mail through ihnp4.  This use of ihnp4 as a free mail
forwarder has reached the point where it is being unfairly overloaded.
This overload has to be rectified.  Management has decided to
discontinue passing third party email through AT&T machines.  We will
allow time for people time to find other paths.  There are many
commercial mail services that will be happy to take on your load.  We
recommend AT&T Mail, who can be reached at 800-MAIL-672.

This cutoff applies to ihnp4, cbosgd, and att.  It will probably affect
other AT&T machines within a year.

IF YOU LIST IHNP4, CBOSGD, OR ATT AS SMART-HOST, OR IN YOUR
/USR/LIB/NEWS/PATHS FILE, YOU SHOULD CHANGE IT *NOW* TO SOME OTHER
MACHINE.

While we are phasing out third party pass-through as much as possible,
we will continue to accept email for AT&T machines, and to
pass outgoing email from AT&T to other systems.  cbosgd and ihnp4 will
go away soon anyway, as they are being replaced by official gateways.
Beginning July 1, 1988, all external links to cbosgd and ihnp4 will be
severed.  If you have a connection to ihnp4 or cbosgd, or there is a
business need to talk to AT&T, you can contact att!postmaster about
setting up a link to att.  Such a link would not allow pass-through
email.

Effective September 1, 1988, pass-through email will be returned to the
sender.  We may install software to generate warnings before then, so
people won't suddenly be surprised.  We will update the UUCP map
immediately.