From: he...@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer)
Newsgroups: news.software.b
Subject: C news bulletin #1
Date: Thu, 12-Nov-87 12:56:24 EST

Several people have noticed that some of the Makefiles invoke a mysterious
program "makedtr", which is nowhere in evidence.  Sorry about that.  The
problem is that since the alpha release was a clone of our working copies,
rather than a polished distribution, you got the stuff that was meant for
assembling the distribution rather than the result.  Makedtr is just a
simple shell archiver with a special tweak or two.  It plays no particularly
vital part in things, except that the batcher Makefile wants to use it to
prepare a file of test data.  You can just twiddle the Makefile to ignore
the test stuff, but if you don't want to do that, here is makedtr:

----------
for f
do
	case "$f"
	in
		*Makefile)
		name=Makefile
		;;

		*)
		name="$f"
		;;
	esac
	echo "echo '$name':"
	echo "sed 's/^X//' >'$name' <<'!'"
	sed 's/^/X/' "$f"
	echo "!"
done
echo "echo done"
--
Those who do not understand Unix are |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
condemned to reinvent it, poorly.    | {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utai}!utzoo!henry