From: bass@dmsd.UUCP
Newsgroups: net.news.group,net.news.stargate
Subject: Starhub -- one alternative to Stargate
Date: Wed, 16-Jul-86 03:56:48 EDT

My proposal is simply that we create several hubs with 9600 baud modem service
and ample disk storage to provide store and forward mail service. The modems
will be connected to a buffer box with 1 to 2mb of ram storage to match
communications throughput limits at each client machine. The buffer box will
normally be transparent between the modem and system allowing normal modem
service. During preset times when the modem is idle, the buffer box will
call one of the Starhubs and stream in a news batch at full line speed, AND
login to the client system and dump the stream to the unbatcher matching client
speeds.

Current DDS AT&T nite service for such a news feed would be about $75/month
and hub service fees of less than $50/month.  The buffer box will cost between
$300 and $500, the modem between $1,000 and $1,500 depending on what can be
done for a group buy. The DDS rate can be reduced maybe 50% with a group
or volume discount.

The Hub could provide inwatts service and bill-back all the charges in
one bill. A single $9,000 hub could support about 80 systems each night
and another 100 systems during the day/evening. Hub based service
could be both faster than the current backbone, more reliable, and cheaper
over all -- and remove a major bias in the cost of usenet caused by the
backbone. The total cost of usenet would be reduced as much as 70% from the
current implementation. Hubs operated as a fee based service would pay back
in about 12 months. Between 6 and 10 hubs could service most of the major
cities and surrounding area.

OR -- the hubs need not exist at all .... using the same technology with
the current backbone. Due to the higher connectivity of the current backbone
over a multiple hub arrangment, the costs will be higher than hubs,
be still significantly cheaper than current 1200/2400 DDS service.

Current DDS AT&T nite service for news costs about $360/month assuming a
2400 baud compressed news feed (plus/minus about $60). The capital investment
is a 2400 baud modem costing less than $1,000. Many sites are using 1200 baud
compressed service at twice the cost (why I don't know, since the capital
payback is about 2 months).

Normal uucp is limited to below 4800 baud average throughput due to system
timings on many machines, which limits the direct application of 9600/19.2kb
modems for uucp based service. But even still, at 4800 baud they will still
pay back over less than 6 months.

The software to implement this is about 6 man months, plus 3 man months
for the buffer box firmware and hardware.
--

John Bass (DBA:DMS Design)
DMS Design (System Design, Performance and Arch Consultants)