From: he...@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer)
Newsgroups: net.news
Subject: five years of traffic
Date: Wed, 9-Jul-86 17:12:58 EDT

For those of you with a statistical bent, here's some data compiled from
our news archives.  We archive news onto tape, and keep one-line-per-article
indexes on disk.  We joined Usenet pretty early, in the spring of 1981, so
we've been doing this for five years now.  The indexes alone now total over
35 megabytes.  Until early this year, we archived and indexed *everything*;
we are now more selective.  Some discussions at Usenix prompted me to run
some statistics on the indexes.  In particular, I was curious to see what
the growth pattern looked like.  Extracting this data was enough of a
hassle that I thought others might be interested in getting it.

I analyzed only the indexes from the archive-everything days, ending this
March.  The total is about 477000 articles.  This includes some local groups
that don't get out to the world, but they're minor.  Appended below is the
day-by-day volume.  Field 1 is day number, with 0 == 1-Jan-1981.  Field 2
is article count.  Field 3, when present, is a 30-day total article count
for convenience.  The articles were allocated to days based on the "date"
fields of our index entries; the derivation of this field has changed a
bit over the years, but if you think of it as arrival date at utzoo you
won't be far wrong.  There are a few anomalies due to temporary news
feed problems, but the trend is still visible.  (No, I don't have data
based on the posting date.)  The traffic for the first little while is all
local, unusually heavy because news was used to record the details of our
V7 conversion.  The first outside article arrived on day 132; if you assume
that local articles are negligible after that, you won't go far wrong.
Traffic for about the first year will be underestimated some because
we did not get some of the more voluminous groups.  (Our network link at
the time was 300-baud manually-dialed.)  The last ten days or so of data
are only things that expired early, so they are best ignored.

Plotting the data gives quite interesting results.  The day-by-day
variation in volume is large even recently.  The overall trend, as you
might expect, is upward.  I think I can see the two sets of newsgroup
cuts we made during the first year, and the arrival of our 1200-baud
autodialer in mid-82.  There's too much scatter for me to be sure about
our more recent newsgroup cuts, but I think I can see them too.  You
might be able to fit an exponential curve to the overall trend, but it
looks more to me like a slow start and then near-linear growth.  Since
mid-82 volume has been increasing at roughly 5000 articles/month/year.
I'd be interested in any more refined conclusions from the statisticians
out there.

-----------
0	0
1	0