From: m...@bambi.UUCP (Michael Caplinger)
Newsgroups: net.news.group
Subject: elementary posting rules
Date: Mon, 4-Nov-85 18:43:38 EST

Why aren't the following three rules enforced?

1) No automatic cross-posting (responses to the "first" or "best" of the
original's groups by default).

2) No automatic quoting of messages.  If people want to quote, make them
work hard to do it.  Maybe they'll find it easier to paraphrase.

3) No messages with less than X lines of content, for X on the order of
10.  Content is NOT quotes or signatures.  Maybe that would stop the
stupid "me too" message from being sent.

It seems a simple matter to add (or in case 2, subtract) the needed
functionality from the user software.  Wouldn't this help reduce useless
traffic?

	Michael Caplinger
	m...@bellcore.arpa
	ihnp4!bambi!mike