Newsgroups: net.news.map
From: kas@sri-unix
Date: Sat Oct 30 03:53:43 1982
Subject: Usenet Logical Map

Here is the latest version of the Usenet Logical Map, compiled from
the pair listings done by Mark and Karen Horton.  Thanks to both of
them, and my husband, Bill, for their help in doing this map.
Please note that this is the Usenet only, which means netnews
connections, not mail.  A version of this map was sent over the
network on October 7th, but it apparently didn't get very far.
The map will be updated monthly and sent out around the first of
the month.

Due to the number of sites on the map (351) I've had to go to a two
page format.  The pages fit side-by-side with connections across the
page, so you'll need scissors and glue to put it together.  The left
hand page is first below.  Both pages are 80 wide by 59 long.

How to read the map:  Connections are denoted by either a "|" or a "-".
"Logical buses" are denoted by "=" or "+".  A logical bus is merely
a way of providing more space to indicate connections to a site.  For
example, hplabs is represented by the character string "+===hplabs===+".
Places on the map where a dash and vertical bar intersect do not
represent actual intersections, but rather crossovers (think of them
as a highway over/underpass).  Unlike the last logical map, there has
been no attempt made to differentiate between various types of networks,
largely because that information is difficult to obtain.

If you have any questions, comments, or corrections to the map,
please send mail to me at either decvax!sun!kas or ucbvax!ucbarpa!sun!kas.
If you know of incorrect or missing connections/sites, send mail to
decvax!cbosg!cbosgd!map.

			Karen Shannon

*******************
*  Left Hand Page *
*******************
USENET Logical Map - October 28, 1982
                  ssovax  gsp86  omsvax                    ism750  images  ico
                     |      |       |                         |       |     |
             rascal--+====intelqa===+  orstcs  hpda2    n44a--+====+=ima====+
                                    |     |      |            |    |  |     |
    kpno                   csu-cs   |  hp-pcd  hpda          imd  ipa | ism780
      |                       |     |     |      |                    |
   arizona   nsc--menlo70----hao----+===hplabs===+--sri-unix---------cca---+====
      |              |        |                        |              |    |
psi--gi------------sytek    cires         atd--dsd--fortune  ubvax   csin  |
                     |                                 |      |            |
          varian--zehntel                       amd70--megatest-----sun--decwrl
                     |                                               |
     metheus--ogcvax | tekid  tekcad     ucbarpa  ucb  ucbernie   altos86
                 |   |   |       |           |     |      |
  azure--tekmdp--+===+=teklabs===+---ucbcad--+=====+=+====+===ucbvax===+========
           |     |   |    |      |           |       |        |   |    |
dadla-a--dadla   | tekcrd |    reed       populi  ucbonyx  ucbopt | ucsfcgl
         | |     |        |      |                                |
   dadla-b | tekchips   iddic   bio            u1100s-------------|-------------
           |              |                      |                |
        dadla-d       tektinker                  |    eiss        |
                                                 |     |          |
                              desoto--pyuxdd--pyuxbb--eisx--vtxa  |
                                                 |     |          |
        +=================npoiv==================+-----+=======npois=====+
        |                   |                                  |         |
        |        research   |            sescent--+===cbosgd===+--cbosg  +===+==
        |           |       |                     |       |    |         |   |
        |   rabbit--+=alice=+     aluxz--mhuxi--mhuxj  osu-dbs |         |   |
        |           |       |              |      |            |         |   |
        |        physics    |    pyuxll  mhuxv    |           nscs       |   |
        |           |       |      |       |      |            |         |   |
        |         mitccc    |    pyuxjj--mhuxm    |          rmas70      |   |
        |           |       |              |      |            |         |   |
        |        mit-vax    |     bwkna--mhuxh    |         mork-cb      |   |
        |                   |       |      |      |                      |   |
        |                   |     hlexa    mhuxa  |                      |   |
        |                   |              |   |  |                      |   |
        |          psuvax   |          mhb5c   mhuxt                     |   |
        |             |     |                  |                         |   |
        |   linus--allegra  |  mh3bs      rdb  |    whuxlb   chico       |   |
        |             |     |    |         |   |         |   |           |   |
        |             +===mhtsa==+---------eagle--wheps--zeppo---------whuxk |
        |             |          |           |             |             |   |
        |           wjh12      hpuxa         |             |          whonxa |
        |                                    |             |                 |
        |  slinac                            |             | umncs--minn-ua  |
        |    |                               |             |           |     |
        |  sask--hssg40--adec23              |             |        stolaf   |
        |    |                               |             |           |     |
        |  utah-cs--utah-gr                  |             |    ihps4--+==+==+==
        |    |                               |             |           |  |  |
        |    |         src-unix              |    uofp     |        ihps2 |  |
        |    |            |                  |      |      |              |  |
        |    |   uwvax--seismo--rochester    |   presby    |           ih4ep |
        |    |            |                  |      |      |                 |
        +====+============+==================+======+======+=================+==
*******************
* Right Hand Page *
*******************
                                                         Karen Shannon (sun!kas)
  ubc-vision   fluke--ssc-vax    grkermit   utcsstat--utcsrgv--trigraph
      |          |                   |                   |
  uw-beaver--microsoft         genradbolton       hcr--utzoo--watmath--watarts
      |          |                   |                   |
   uw-june       | cwrunix--cwruecmp |  sultan  wivax    | cg-d  yale-comix
                 |              |    |    |       |      |   |        |
==+========+=====+======decvax==+====+====+=======+======+===+=====+==+========+
  |        |                                                       |           |
  | ittapp | bunker  qumix      mi-cec--idis--pitt  ikonas  adiron | ucf-cs    |
  |   |    |   |       |                 |              |      |   |   |       |
  |   +===ittvax=+=====+           ncsu--+=====mcnc=====+---+==+==duke=+======+|
  |   |       |  |     |                 |              |   |          |      ||
  | tpdcvax  sii |  dcdwest  noscvax   web40   brl-bmd--+unc+--tucc   phs     ||
  |              |     |        |                 |                           ||
==+     sdchema--+====sdcsvax===+      nybca   udrelay                        ||
                 |       |      |        |                                    ||
           sdccsu3       |   philabs   nybcb  acf2  rocky2   cubs45           ||
           |     |       |      |        |     |      |        |              ||
--+  sdcattb--sdcatta    +======+==+=cmcl2=====+======+-----esquire----------+||
  |     |        |                 |                  |                      |||
  |  sdcarl   phonlab    e f g   lanl-a   sbcs--peri--+=======floyd===+=====+|||
  |                      | | |                                        |     ||||
  | (houx*)           d--hocsb--j     hou5d--hou5a  machaids--5941ux  |     ||||
  |                       |  |           |            |          |    |     ||||
  m  a  b  c  d  f  h  j  z  k  (hocs*)  |  hound   hocda  wbux1 |    |     ||||
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |              |    |       |      |   |    |     ||||
==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==houxi=======+====+=======+======+===+    |     ||||
  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |    |              |       |               |     ||||
  n  o  p  r  s  t  v  w  y  u1100a   odin--orion--deimos--ariel----vax135  ||||
                                              |            |   |      |     ||||
  princeton  win--we53  burdvax  hoh-2  houxe | houxg   oberon |    cornell ||||
     |             |       |       |      |   |   |            |            ||||
  we04-3b--otuxa--we13-----+=======+=lime=+===+===+----------houti--houca   ||||
             |     |                                                        ||||
           nwuxc  uniq   ihlpb    ixlpa  a  b  c  d  e  g  h  i  j  k  l  m ||||
             |             |        |    |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | ||||
      inuxa--+==inuxc==+---+=ixn5c==+----+==+==+==+==+==druxs=+==+==+==+==+ ||||
             |   |     |   |        |    |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  | ||||
  uiuceml    | inuxb inuxd |      ixlpc  n  o  p  q  r  t  u  v  w  x  y  z ||||
     |       |             |                                                ||||
  uicsovax   |     isrnix  |                                      (drux*)   ||||
     |       |       |     |                                                ||||
  uiucdcs--pur-ee--iuvax   |        iwlc8  iwsl1  iwsl6                     ||||
             |             |          |      |      |                       ||||
  pur-phy--purdue--ncrday  |   iwlc7--+==iwls3=+--iwsl4                     ||||
             |             |          |      |      |                       ||||
  ihnss    ecn-pa          | ihtpa    |    iwsl2  iwsl5              ih1ap  ||||
    | ixn5h   ihnp1  ihnp2 |  | ihnp4 |  a  b  c  d  e  f  g  h  i  j  k  l ||||
    | ihima | iheds       mb2b  ixn5k |  m  n  o  p  q  r  s  t  u  v  w  x ||||
  ihps1   ihpad      sb6--sb1--ll1--ihldt--ihtnt               (ihux*)      ||||