Newsgroups: net.general,fa.unix-wizards
From: azure!stevenm
Date: Mon Dec 14 11:36:32 1981
Subject: Network Map

I have been compiling my own personal netmap for a while, and since
no others have come out recently, I decided to publish this. While
I am here, I would like to reiterate something I mentioned several
months ago: the net is getting too big to map in a pretty visual
manner. What we need is a database of the form:

	site	<neighbor-list>

e.g.	chico	harpo,duke,teklabs,ucbvax,bozo

with the neighbor-list ordered in an arbitrary "decreasing throughput"
order. I am working on a program that will (given this database, your
host name and destination name) provide the "best" path to the other
site. If anybody has ideas for a good cost-function for odering the
list, let me know.

(Note: this does not pretend to be complete, although I would appreciate
corrections and additions from anyone.)

(P.s: Please excuse the large hole in the upper right corner of the map,
but the Tektronix map is considered (sigh) confidential.)

In any case, here is my (last) map:

  UUCP/USENET Logical Map  -   June 1, 1981 / mods by S. McGeady 11/19/81

            (ucbvax)
+=+===================================+==+
| |                                   |  |
| |                wivax              |  |
| |                  |                |  |
| |         microsoft| uiucdcs        |  |
| |  genradbo      | | |  |           |  |           (Tektronix)
| |     |          | | |  | purdue    |  |
| decvax+===+=+====+=+=+  | |         |  |
|       |   | |      |    | | pur-phy |  |                        tekmdp
|       |   | |      |    | |     |   |  |                           |
+@@@@@@cca  | |      |    | |     |   |  |                           |
|       |   | |  +=pur-ee=+=+=====+===+  |                           |
|    csin   | |  |   |                   |                           |
|           | +==o===+===================+==+========+=======+====teklabs=+
|           |    |                                                        |
|           |    |                    pdp phs   grumpy  wolfvax           |
|           |    |                     |   |      |        |              |
|           | cincy                unc=+===+======+========+              |
|           |   |        bio	   |                                      |
|           |  	|  (Misc) |        |     	(Misc)                    |
|           |   | sii  reed        |    dukgeri duke34  utzoo             |
|           |   |  |    |          |         |   |	 |	          |
|      +====+=+=+==+====++======+==++===duke=+===+=======+==+=========+   |
|      |      |    |     |      |   |                       |         |   | u1100s
|    bmd70  ucf-cs ucf   | andiron  |                       |         |   |   |
|                        |          |                       |         |   |   |
|                  red   |          |                       |         |   | pyuxh
|                   |    |          |     zeppo             |         |   |   |
|       psupdp---psuvax  |          |       |               |         |   |   |
|                   |    |          | alice |   whuxlb      | utah-cs |   | houxf
|                allegra |          | |     |     |         |   |     |   |   |
|  	              |  |          | |     |     |         |   |  +--chico---+
|                 +===+=mhtsa====research   |   /=+=======harpo=+==+     |    |
|                 |   |  |  |               |  /            |            |    |
|               hocsr |  |  +=+=============+=/           cbosg---+      |    |
|    ucbopt           |  |    |                             |     |   esquire |
|       :             |  |    |                           cbosgd  |           |
|       :             |  |    |                                   |           |
|    ucbcory          |  | eagle==+=====+=====+=====+=====+       |           |
|       :             |  |  |     |     |     |     |     |       |  +-uwvax--+
|       :             |  |  |   mhuxa mhuxh mhuxj mhuxm mhuxv     |  |
|       :             |  |  |                                     |  |
|       :             |  |  |        +----------------------------o--+
|       :             |  |  |        |                            |
|    ucbcad           |  |  |      ihpss    mh135a                |
|       :             |  |  |        |         |                  |
|       :             \--o--o------ihnss----vax135----cornell     |
|       :                |  |        |         |                  |
+=+==ucbvax==========+===+==+=+======+=======+=+========+=========+
  (UCB) :            |        |              |          | (Silicon Valley)
     ucbarpa      cmevax      |              |        menlo70--hao
	:                     |              |        |    |
     ucbonyx                  |              |        |   sri-unix
	                      |           ucsfcgl     |
Legend:                       |              |      sytek====+========+
- | / \ + = Uucp           sdcsvax=+=======+=+======+     intelqa   zehntel
o           jumps               sdcarl  phonlab  sdcattb
:           Berknet
@           Arpanet

S. McGeady