From: dwex@aib.com (David E. Wexelblat)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
Subject: Announcing The XFree86 Project, Inc.
Date: 30 Jan 1994 13:17:18 +0200

The following press release was issued this week at the X Technical
Conference.  For those of you wondering about our call for funding, this
is the answer.  Since this has all happened in the last 2-3 weeks, and
is still evolving, I can't really give you much concrete details.  More
information will be posted as we have it.  What we can tell you is that
this move on our part ensures that XFree86 3.0, fully supporting X11R6,
will be available on all supported platforms no later than the release
of the X11R6 contributed software tapes (at this time it is not yet clear
exactly how much of XFree86 will be in the core release; this should
be resolved shortly).  We are also in the process of establishing
the XFree86.Org domain on the Internet; when this is up, we will provide
a wide range of information services for XFree86 users, including mail
servers and WWW.

       FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE	     CONTACT:  David E.	Wexelblat
       January 24, 1994			       703-430-9247

       THE XFree86 DEVELOPMENT	TEAM  ANNOUNCES	 THE  FORMATION	 OF  THE
       XFree86 PROJECT,	INC.

       BOSTON, Massachusetts --	January	24, 1994 --  The  developers  of
       XFree86[TM],  a	free-software  package developed and distributed
       via the	world-wide  Internet,  announce	 the  formation	 of  The
       XFree86	 Project,   Inc,  a  not-for-profit  corporation.   Also
       announced was the filing	by the new corporation for membership in
       X Consortium, Inc.

       "This is	an exciting day	for all	of us,"	said David E. Wexelblat,
       President  of  the  XFree86  Project, Inc.  "When we started this
       free software project two years ago, we never  imagined	that  it
       would  grow to this point.  Our establishing this corporation and
       joining X Consortium, Inc.  helps give a	voice to the entire free
       software	 field,	 in  a	fast-growing  area of largely-commercial
       software	development."

       XFree86 is a package of enhancements  to	 the  X	 Window	 System,
       Version 11, Release 5 (X11R5), for use on Intel[r]-based	personal
       computers running UNIX[r] and UNIX-like operating systems.  The X
       Window  System  is a vendor-neutral, system-architecture	neutral,
       network-transparent  windowing  and   user   interface	standard
       developed  by  the  X  Consortium, Inc.	XFree86	was initiated in
       April, 1992, by David Wexelblat,	David Dawes, Glenn Lai,	and  Jim
       Tsillas,	 to  enhance the performance and reliability of	X11R5 on
       the UNIX-based personal computers they were using at the	time.

       Since that time,	there have been	4  major  releases  of	XFree86.
       The  development	 team  has grown to well over 100 developers and
       testers,	and the	user community numbers in the  10s  or	100s  of
       thousands.   XFree86 is the sole	implementation for several free-
       software	operating systems, such	as Linux, FreeBSD,  and	 NetBSD,
       gaining	world-wide  popularity.	  XFree86  is  also  shipped  by
       several commercial operating system  vendors,  in  place	 of,  or
       alongside of, a commercial implementation of The	X Window System.

       "...there is a choice," says Evan Leibovitch  of	 Sound	Software
       Ltd.,  "of  either the X	server offered with each UNIX (sometimes
       as an option), or to spring for the high-performance  third-party
       servers	for a little extra cash	(except, of course, for	XFree86,
       which is	certainly ready	to take	its place with Kermit, TeX, gcc,
       Cnews,  Linux  and  GNU	Emacs  as  the most significant	freeware
       products	of all time)."

       XFree86 supports	over a dozen operating	systems	 on  Intel-based
       hardware,  including  SVR4,  UnixWare,  SVR3.2,	Linux,	FreeBSD,
       NetBSD, Mach, and OSF/1.	 More than 20 common  SuperVGA	chipsets
       are  supported, as well as 6 of the most	common video accelerator
       chipsets, including those from S3 and ATI.  XFree86 is  available
       free  of	charge from free software repositories around the world,
       via the world-wide Internet.

       For more	information about The XFree86 Project, Inc., or	 XFree86
       itself,	contact	 David	E. Wexelblat, President, at AIB	Software
       Corporation, 46030 Manekin Plaza, Suite 160,  Dulles,  VA  20166,
       703-430-9247; Fax 703-450-4560.

				  #    #    #

--
David Wexelblat < dwex@aib.com>  (703) 430-9247  Fax: (703) 450-4560
AIB Software Corporation, 46030 Manekin Plaza, Suite 160, Dulles, VA  20166

Mail regarding XFree86 should be sent to < xfree86@physics.su.oz.au>

"A second flood, a simple famine, plagues of locusts everywhere,
  Or a cataclysmic earthquake, I'd accept with some despair.
    But no, you sent us Congress!  Good God, sir, was that fair?"
      -- John Adams, "Piddle, Twiddle, and Resolve", from "1776"

--
Mail submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-announce@tc.cornell.edu