Newsgroups: comp.sys.sequent
From: pwo...@kai.com (Patrick Wolfe)
Subject: Why switch from Dynix/3 to Dynix/ptx?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1993 15:39:23 GMT

I'm looking for reasons other sites used to justify the huge amount of work to
convert their Sequent system from bsd based Dynix 3 operating system to the
svr3 based Dynix/ptx operating system.  Bsd bigots, please, don't waste
anyone's time with bsd vs. system v religious comments.

We currently have both OS's on our S27, because we support our products on
both, but we continue to run Dynix 3 as our production operating system.  The
system is used for documentation (tex, ditroff), software development, and as
our general administrative system (email, news, etc).  We have no third party
purchased applications to worry about.

None of the users have expressed any preference, or objection, to either OS.
The only reasons I see are related to ongoing support, future enhancements, and
operating system features.  Sequent has said they won't be enhancing dynix 3
anymore, so switching to ptx now, may mean quicker access to new features in
the future.

There are two features of ptx I'd really like to have, namely the nfs lock
daemon and bidirectional modems.  There is also one big feature of dynix 3,
NIS, that sequent says they won't support in ptx.  The (lack of) features
discussion doesn't seem concern anyone here but me.  The enormous amount of
work converting the over 400 locally installed programs vs the benefit gained
by the new features is the reason I haven't switched already.

Can you think of any reason or major feature that might make me reconsider
switching (or not) to ptx?

Thanks for your input.
--

	Patrick Wolfe (pwo...@kai.com)