From: ke...@seismo.UUCP (Keith Bostic)
Newsgroups: net.sources,net.bugs.2bsd
Subject: 2.9BSD
Date: Wed, 17-Jul-85 03:46:29 EDT

A new copy of the 2.9BSD release of UNIX for the PDP family will be
available starting around the 29th of July.  This release was developed
from the original 2.9 release by Berkeley.

Several people have been working on this release over the past nine months,
in three major areas: to make the system run reliably, to make the networking
code work and to bring the system closer to 4.2 standards.  While we are
going to continue to further develop the system, we think that we are at a
point where other people can benefit from the work done up to now.  The 2.9
that we're offering has working networking code, many of the 4.2 system calls,
and is much more stable than the original release.

The release is available from two sites, Harvard University and The
Center for Seismic Studies.  As noted above, we hope to start cutting
tapes around the 29th of July.  The release will be in "tar" format,
1600 bpi and will consist of a replacement /usr/src.

To get your copy please send a 2400 ft. mag tape, a copy of your 2.9 BSD
Berkeley license, and a self-addressed, stamped package.  Nobody is making
any money from this, so *please* make it as easy for us as possible --
don't forget the return postage and the self-addressed package.

You can send your tape to either of the following addresses:

Keith Bostic                            Scott Bradner
Center for Seismic Studies              Harvard University
Suite 1450                              William James Hall
1300 N. 17th St.                        Rm 1232
Arlington VA  22209                     33 Kirkland St.
                                        Cambridge MA 02138

Note: Because of certain legal requirements, if you request a tape
from Harvard, please enclose $100.00 to cover costs, checks payable
to Harvard University.

================

For everyone's information, the 5 most asked questions from this
week's mail.

Q:      Is this the last release you'll make?
A:      This release is definitely temporary.  We are continuing to work
        on the system, and hope to have another release available sometime
        this fall.  Most of the basic groundwork has been done; what we're
        trying to do now is to clean up the kernel and make sure that all of
        the stuff floating around actually works.  We also hope to move
        closer to the 4BSD release.

Q:      What's the difference between your stuff and 2.9BSD from Berkeley?