EGCS Project Mission Statement
EGCS is a free software project to further the development of the GNU compilers
using an open development environment.
Short and simple as a mission statement should be. Additional details on the
key concepts follow.
- Free Software Project
- Compilers are available under the terms of the GPL.
- Copyrights for the compilers are to be held by the FSF.
- Other components (runtime libraries, testsuites, etc) will be available
under various free licenses with copyrights being held by individual authors
or the FSF.
- Further Development of GNU Compilers
- New languages
- New optimizations
- New targets
- Improved runtime libraries
- Various infrastructure improvements
- Open Development Environment
- Encourage cooperation and communication between developers
- Work more closely with "consumers"
- Code available to everyone at anytime, and development is open to anyone
that wants to contribute.
- Patches will be considered equally based on their technical merits
- All individuals and companies are welcome to contribute as long
as they accept the groundrules.
- Open mailing lists
- Developer friendly tools and procedures (ie cvs, multiple maintainers,
- Conflicts of interest exist for many egcs developers, the developers
as well as the egcs steering committee will not allow those conflicts of
interest to have an effect on the egcs project