From: Warren Toomey < wkt@henry.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Subject: More SCO Licenses + Software Tools
To: pups@minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (PDP Unix Preservation)
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 13:58:23 +1000 (EST)
Sender: owner-pups@minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au

All,
	The following people now have SCO source licenses for ancient Unix:

Bruce Robertson, Erick Delios, Kelwin Wylie, Kirsten McIntyre, Matthew Crosby

That brings the numbering scheme up to AU-50, but in fact there are 52
SCO source licenses for ancient Unix.

The mailing list has been pretty quiet. Hope you're all well. The only
news I have is that Norman Wilson is still slowly scanning in the manuals
from 2nd to 5th Edition. He now has most (all?) of 5th edition scanned in.

I haven't heard from Kirk McKusick, but he's still planning to sell a 4CD
set of all the 4BSD releases from CSRG. The cost is still expected to be
around US$100, but if he gets flooded with requests, this may come down.

Software Tools
--------------

I got some mail last week from Deborah Scherrer:
    I was one of the people who created the Software
    Tools project and Software Tools Users Group (Peter Salus
    mentioned us in his book).  If you're interested, you might
    want to include the Software Tools tapes in your collection.

She suggested that I contact Barbera Chase, which I did.
Barbera (bc@mrdata.netcetera.com) then wrote:
    Sorry, we don't actually have any of the files online anymore, nor do we
    have access to a tape drive.  What we have are 9-track tapes, probably in
    1600bpi.  There are three versions of the tools for PDP machines, one for
    RSX-11 and two for "generic" Unix.  I still happen to have several copies
    of each, and will be glad to send them to you.  Just let me know where to
    send them, and if you happen to have a shipping account number that would
    be even better ;-)

I don't know Barbera's geographic location. However, would anybody in the
US be prepared to read these tapes for us, and pass the contents to me for
inclusion in the PUPS Archive??!

Cheers all,

	Warren

On Monday,  6 July 1998 at 13:58:23 +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> Software Tools
> --------------
>
> I got some mail last week from Deborah Scherrer:
>     I was one of the people who created the Software
>     Tools project and Software Tools Users Group (Peter Salus
>     mentioned us in his book).  If you're interested, you might
>     want to include the Software Tools tapes in your collection.
>
> She suggested that I contact Barbera Chase, which I did.
> Barbera (bc@mrdata.netcetera.com) then wrote:
>     Sorry, we don't actually have any of the files online anymore, nor do we
>     have access to a tape drive.  What we have are 9-track tapes, probably in
>     1600bpi.  There are three versions of the tools for PDP machines, one for
>     RSX-11 and two for "generic" Unix.  I still happen to have several copies
>     of each, and will be glad to send them to you.  Just let me know where to
>     send them, and if you happen to have a shipping account number that would
>     be even better ;-)
>
> I don't know Barbera's geographic location. However, would anybody in the
> US be prepared to read these tapes for us, and pass the contents to me for
> inclusion in the PUPS Archive??!

Registrant:
Netcetera, Inc. (NETCETERA-DOM)
   11950 Anderson Valley Way
   P.O. Box 939
   Boonville, CA 95415

   Domain Name: NETCETERA.COM

   Administrative Contact:
      Chase, Barbara L.  (BC309)  bc@NETCETERA.COM
      707-895-2691

Greg

I think having these in the archives would be great.  I used the
Software Tools extensively back in the late 70's and early 80's.
I wish I could read the tapes in, but I'm still working on a tape
drive for an 11/73.  (see separate mail.)
Dave