From: hams...@lord.banki.hu (Akos Varga)
Subject: a stupid question
Date: 1997/10/19
Newsgroups: vmsnet.pdp-11

Well, it may be silly to ask, but I'd like to know
what OSs ran on members of the MicroPDP-family...

Thanks for your time!
Akos Varga
hams...@netweb.hu

From: Bill Pechter <pech...@lakewood.com>
Subject: Re: a stupid question
Date: 1997/10/19
Newsgroups: vmsnet.pdp-11

> Well, it may be silly to ask, but I'd like to know
> what OSs ran on members of the MicroPDP-family...
>
> Thanks for your time!
> Akos Varga
> hams...@netweb.hu

RSX11, RSX11M+, RSTS/E, IAS (Probably), RT11, V7M11 (Probably)
(later named  Ultrix-11), BSD v2.x.

Bill

 Bill Pechter | 17 Meredith Drive Tinton Falls, NJ 07724 | 732-389-3592
 pech...@lakewood.com | Save computing history, give an old geek old hardware.
 This msg brought to you by the letters PDP and the number 11.

From: d...@news.daedalus.co.nz (Don Stokes)
Date: 1997/10/20
Newsgroups: vmsnet.pdp-11

In article <199710192334.TAA18...@i4got.lakewood.com>,
Bill Pechter  <pech...@lakewood.com> wrote:
>> Well, it may be silly to ask, but I'd like to know
>> what OSs ran on members of the MicroPDP-family...
>RSX11, RSX11M+, RSTS/E, IAS (Probably), RT11, V7M11 (Probably)
>(later named  Ultrix-11), BSD v2.x.

Note that current versions of 2BSD need split I/D, which precludes the
MicroPDP-11/23 (which is probably what it is/was if the badge just says
MicroPDP-11).  Also, there was Micro/RSX (based on RSX-11M-PLUS) and
Micro/RSTS -- basically repackages of the OSs for bigger systems without
a SYSGEN requirement.

--
Don Stokes, Networking Consultant  http://www.daedalus.co.nz  +64 25 739 724
Network Design, Cable Plans, LANs, WANs, Radio Networks, Internet Consulting

From: Varga Akos Endre <hams...@pc0176sd.sysdata.siemens.at>
Date: 1997/10/20
To: Don Stokes <d...@news.daedalus.co.nz>
Newsgroups: vmsnet.pdp-11

On 20 Oct 1997, Don Stokes wrote:

> Note that current versions of 2BSD need split I/D, which precludes the
> MicroPDP-11/23 (which is probably what it is/was if the badge just says
> MicroPDP-11).  Also, there was Micro/RSX (based on RSX-11M-PLUS) and
> Micro/RSTS -- basically repackages of the OSs for bigger systems without
> a SYSGEN requirement.

Okay, so I can't run BSD on the /23, how about the /53, /73, /83?

Akos Varga
hams...@netweb.hu

From: Varga Akos Endre <hams...@pc0176sd.sysdata.siemens.at>
Date: 1997/10/20
Newsgroups: vmsnet.pdp-11

> > Well, it may be silly to ask, but I'd like to know
> > what OSs ran on members of the MicroPDP-family...
> >
> RSX11, RSX11M+, RSTS/E, IAS (Probably), RT11, V7M11 (Probably)
> (later named  Ultrix-11), BSD v2.x.

Hm, thanks, and what members exactly were UNIXable?

Akos Varga
hams...@netweb.hu

From: Bill Pechter <pech...@lakewood.com>
Date: 1997/10/20
Newsgroups: vmsnet.pdp-11

> > > Well, it may be silly to ask, but I'd like to know
> > > what OSs ran on members of the MicroPDP-family...
> > >
> > RSX11, RSX11M+, RSTS/E, IAS (Probably), RT11, V7M11 (Probably)
> > (later named  Ultrix-11), BSD v2.x.
>
> Hm, thanks, and what members exactly were UNIXable?
>
> Akos Varga
> hams...@netweb.hu

Every PDP11 was Unixable -- the problem is it depended on which Unix
version.  V6 and V7 would probably run on all the 11/40, 11/45, 11/50, 11/55
11/60, 11/44 and 11/70 machines and probably the 11/23's as well -- if
you had a boot device that was supported and the kernel sources.

BSD ran on all the 11's with memory management through v2.9.  The 2.11
release requires (I think) seperate I and D space).

From: Varga Akos Endre <hams...@pc0176sd.sysdata.siemens.at>
Subject: What OSs ran on what 11s (and what un*xes...)
Date: 1997/10/20
To: Bill Pechter <pech...@lakewood.com>
Newsgroups: vmsnet.pdp-11

Okay, so my question was inproper, inaccurate, and everything... :)

> BSD ran on all the 11's with memory management through v2.9.  The 2.11
> release requires (I think) seperate I and D space).

Yes, the question was really about I/D spaces and memory management.
I'd like to make a nice little table about 11s and the OSs that ran
on them, and I'd like to be as close to the truth, as I can be...:)
So I'd appreciate any help:)

	Akos Varga
	hams...@netweb.hu

From: Bill Pechter <pech...@lakewood.com>
Date: 1997/10/20
Newsgroups: vmsnet.pdp-11

> On 20 Oct 1997, Don Stokes wrote:
>
> > Note that current versions of 2BSD need split I/D, which precludes the
> > MicroPDP-11/23 (which is probably what it is/was if the badge just says
> > MicroPDP-11).  Also, there was Micro/RSX (based on RSX-11M-PLUS) and
> > Micro/RSTS -- basically repackages of the OSs for bigger systems without
> > a SYSGEN requirement.
>
> Okay, so I can't run BSD on the /23, how about the /53, /73, /83?
>
> Akos Varga
> hams...@netweb.hu

Those should work if you've got a supported boot device.
They have seperate I and D space (like the 11/70 they appear to be for most
things).

The problem is you need a Unix System V or earlier (V7 etc.) source
license to get BSD.  (I'd be running 2.9 if I could).

Bill Pechter
running FreeBSD 2.2.2+ with V7 Unix under the Supnik emulator for grins

From: Varga Akos Endre <hams...@pc0176sd.sysdata.siemens.at>
Date: 1997/10/20
To: Bill Pechter <pech...@lakewood.com>
Newsgroups: vmsnet.pdp-11

> The problem is you need a Unix System V or earlier (V7 etc.) source
> license to get BSD.  (I'd be running 2.9 if I could).

Hm, I saw something on the PDP Unix Preservation Society's web page,
is there a chance of free UNIX source licenses? What is the use of the
binary license? Is it for the emulators?

	Akos Varga
	hams...@netweb.hu