From: Jens-Heiner Rechtien < hr@stardivision.de>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
Subject: StarOffice 3.1 Beta 4 - office productivity applications
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 19:4:9 GMT

StarOffice 3.1 Beta 4 Now Available
                  ===================================

Star Division's Unix Group is pleased to announce the availability of
the fourth beta release of StarOffice 3.1 for Linux.

What's new in Beta 4?
- ----------------------
- - The often-requested statically vs. Motif linked binaries have been added
- - Lots of bugs have been fixed
- - English language demo documents and templates (a few at least)
- - The LANG environment variable now determines the defaults for paper size
  and measurement units. Specifying 'export LANG=us' if you use sh/bash or
  'setenv LANG us' for csh/tcsh sets letter size and inches as defaults

Requirements?
- -------------

You need at least libc-5.4.4 or newer. Please let me repeat this: You
need at least libc-5.4.4 or the setup utility won't work. Motif 2.0 is
no longer required, but will definitely enhance the performance of
StarOffice.

What is StarOffice 3.1 for Linux?
- ---------------------------------
Star Office 3.1 is a suite of office productivity applications
containing StarWriter 3.1 (word processor), StarCalc 3.1
(spreadsheet), StarDraw 3.1 (graphics and presentation package),
StarImage 3.1 (image manipulation) StarChart 3.1 (bar, pie and other
charts) and StarMath 3.1 (formula designer).

Where can I get it?
- -------------------
StarOffice 3.1 for Linux can be downloaded from

      ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/staroffice/

or mirror sites. Please read the accompanying README carefully.

How is StarOffice 3.1 licensed?
- -------------------------------
The whole StarOffice 3.1 package is copyrighted by STAR DIVISION
Software-Entwicklung und Vertriebs GmbH, Hamburg, Germany.  This
version is free of charge for non-commercial use.

Expiration?
- -----------
This beta version will disable itself on September 1st, 1997. We hope
that we can make a new version available at this time. You will see a
warning message on standard error every time you start a StarOffice 3.1
application as of August 1st, 1997.

Star Division Unix Group

- - --
Jens-Heiner Rechtien