From: "gbltech.com adminastrator" <d...@gbltech.com>
Subject: Re: A Linux word processor? (was Re: Linux vs. Windows 95: why we will probably lose)
Date: 1995/05/07
references: <1995Mar28.195458.18352@news.cs.indiana.edu> <house.796527166@helios> <TOSHOK.95Apr26044638@brownlee.cs.uidaho.edu> <D82oFD.8G7@rucs2.sunlab.cs.runet.edu> <D841xn.F49@sci.kun.nl>
content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
organization: IntelliNet Internet Services, 1-800-290-7677
x-url: news:D841xn.F49@sci.kun.nl
mime-version: 1.0
newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps
x-mailer: Mozilla 1.1b3 (X11; I; Linux 1.2.5 i486)

Wrong again, it is true that there is no good wordprocessor for Linux. There is
text editors but that's it and we all know that a good wordprocessor does much
more than text stuff. Xword needs to hurry up they have been working on it for
over a year now. Heck MSword was put out in a few mounths. I hope this
arguement will stop becasue the Linux folks such as myself cannot say that we
have a wordprocessor because we don't have it and we can't saying that TeX can
do what Word can because the trueth is it can't do that. And it is terribly
unproductive.

organization: Institute For Industrial Information Technology

In article <3ohcru$...@zeus.intellinet.com> "gbltech.com adminastrator" <d...@gbltech.com> writes:
>Wrong again, it is true that there is no good wordprocessor for Linux. There is

Whats wrong with Word Perfect. Very nice word processor thank you.

>more than text stuff. Xword needs to hurry up they have been working on it for
>over a year now. Heck MSword was put out in a few mounths. I hope this

MSword was put out over a long time from an existing DOS product by a bunch
of people working 8 hours a day professionally on the job. The Xword people
have taken a side step to rewrite the unfree motif toolkit they need as
well. Something even more valuable ultimately. Anyway if you are in a hurry
give them a hand.

>arguement will stop becasue the Linux folks such as myself cannot say that we
>have a wordprocessor because we don't have it and we can't saying that TeX can
>do what Word can because the trueth is it can't do that. And it is terribly
>unproductive.

TeX is brilliant for papers, books and big documents. It absolutely sucks
for some other jobs and for giving to an office monkey to use. So use WP 5.1
or WP6.0 (static binary). iBCS emulation has advantages

Alan