LiS 2.19.0 does not compile
Brian F. G. Bidulock
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 06:22:57 -0700

LiS 2.19.0 does not compile on FC5 with 2.6.17 kernel.
LiS 2.19.0 does not compile on Ubuntu 6.10 with 2.6.15 kernel.

--brian

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦

Re: LiS 2.19.0 does not compile
Steve Schefter
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 06:57:26 -0700

Brian F. G. Bidulock wrote:
>LiS 2.19.0 does not compile on FC5 with 2.6.17 kernel.

I've only tested with the stock kernels that come with the
various releases (2.6.15 in the case of FC5).  Testing with
all the kernel flavours of all distributions is prevented
by my having a real job.  All LGPL patches welcome.

>LiS 2.19.0 does not compile on Ubuntu 6.10 with 2.6.15 kernel.

If anybody actually uses LiS with Ubuntu and wishes to submit
a patch, please do.

        Steve

Steve Schefter                               phone: +1 705 725 9999 x26
The Software Group Limited                     fax: +1 705 725 9666
642 Welham Road,                             email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Barrie, Ontario CANADA  L4N 9A1                Web: www.wanware.com

Re: LiS 2.19.0 does not compile
Brian F. G. Bidulock
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:30:47 -0700

Steve,

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Steve Schefter wrote:

> Brian F. G. Bidulock wrote:
> > LiS 2.19.0 does not compile on FC5 with 2.6.17 kernel.
>
> I've only tested with the stock kernels that come with the
> various releases (2.6.15 in the case of FC5).  Testing with
> all the kernel flavours of all distributions is prevented
> by my having a real job.  All LGPL patches welcome.

Try yum.  The latest "stock" kernel is 2.6.17.

> > LiS 2.19.0 does not compile on Ubuntu 6.10 with 2.6.15 kernel.
>
> If anybody actually uses LiS with Ubuntu and wishes to submit
> a patch, please do.

I see you don't really want to maintain LiS.  That't ok.  Linux
Fast-STREAMS works so much better anyway.

--brian

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

Re: LiS 2.19.0 does not compile
ragnar
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 15:28:29 -0700

> I see you don't really want to maintain LiS.  That't ok.  Linux
> Fast-STREAMS works so much better anyway.

Who does?  The Software Group never signed up to provide LiS product or
maintain LiS.  We are hosting the mailing list and keeping the source code
controlled in CVS as well as available to the community at large.  This is
in keeping with LGPL practices and requirements.

We have our fixed requirements for LiS (one of which is LGPL) and we
ensure that it works for our requirements. We welcome submissions, diffs,
edits from the community at large to support a wider platform base but if
we have no need for it, we certainly won't be developing it ourselves.

We have no vested interest in whether people use LFS or LiS ... whichever
works best for you.  From all accounts LFS has many advantages.  It is my
choice not to look at it because of the licensing.

If no one uses LiS that's fine too, our obligation is to make the changes
we make available to the public and we are doing so. The mailing list and
easily accessible FTP site with somewhat up to date documentation is just
extra stuff we give back in gratitude for the years of work Dave Grothe
and GCOM put into this.

Naturally if our customer base changes and we need to support Ubuntu and
other variants, we will add the support where needed and continue to share
with the community.  In the meantime we suggest those that need it, make
it work and if you feed the changes back to us in diff form we'll
incorporate them.  If you elect to simply publish it on your ftp site (the
minimum requirement by GPL/LGPL) we're not going to chase it down.

Cheers,
Ragnar Paulson

Re: LiS 2.19.0 does not compile
Brian F. G. Bidulock
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 15:55:45 -0700

ragnar,

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Who does?  The Software Group never signed up to provide LiS product or
> maintain LiS.

I see, rather than contributing back, you are just meeting what you
perceive to be your minimal obligations.

I think that I will offer to put up a more neutral mailing list: one
that is not focused on one's minimal corporate obligations...

> We have no vested interest in whether people use LFS or LiS ... whichever
> works best for you.  From all accounts LFS has many advantages.  It is my
> choice not to look at it because of the licensing.

You really need to talk to a lawyer.  LGPL + GPL => GPL and LiS has many
GPL components and dependencies, making it all GPL.

--brian

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

Re: LiS 2.19.0 does not compile
Dave Grothe
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:19:45 -0700

At 05:55 PM 8/29/2006, Brian F. G. Bidulock wrote:

>You really need to talk to a lawyer.  LGPL + GPL => GPL and LiS has many
>GPL components and dependencies, making it all GPL.

Care to name them?

-- Dave

Re: LiS 2.19.0 does not compile
Brian F. G. Bidulock
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:04:52 -0700

>    Care to name them?

man grep

Re: LiS 2.19.0 does not compile
Dave Grothe
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:11:29 -0700

Not very useful.
-- Dave

At 03:04 PM 8/30/2006, Brian F. G. Bidulock wrote:

>    Care to name them?

man grep

Re: LiS 2.19.0 does not compile
Brian F. G. Bidulock
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:31:44 -0700

>    Not very useful.

You can't remember which GPL'ed files you put in the release?
Time to stop eating out of those aluminum pots!

--brian

Re: LiS 2.19.0 does not compile
Dave Grothe
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:43:08 -0700

I'm getting too old and crabby for this smart-ass stuff.  If you have
something useful to say then say it.

Mere aggregation does not trigger the viral properties of the GPL.  There
are some separately loadable STREAMS modules such as LDL that are full GPL
and are aggregated with the rest of LiS in the distribution.  But they are
NOT LINKED IN with LiS.

If you don't have anything more enlightening that than to say then stop
wasting our time.

-- Dave

At 03:31 PM 8/30/2006, Brian F. G. Bidulock wrote:

>    Not very useful.

You can't remember which GPL'ed files you put in the release?
Time to stop eating out of those aluminum pots!

--brian

GPL/LGPL
Steve Schefter
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:53:41 -0700

Brian F. G. Bidulock wrote:
>>   Not very useful.

>You can't remember which GPL'ed files you put in the release?
>Time to stop eating out of those aluminum pots!

>--brian

When one makes a personal attack in forums such as these, it is
not generally the attacked one who comes out looking diminished.
Lets all be professionals, please.

Clearly there is a difference in interpretations of LGPL and GPL.
Based on Brian's "grep" e-mail, it appears that he believes that
the GPL modules are not "mere aggregations" into the LiS
tarball.  Dave and I believe otherwise.  We have been down this
road before as have many others in many other forums.  This is
not a legal forum and, as far as I know, none of us are lawyers.
Each can consult their own lawyers as needed.

Regards,
        Steve

Steve Schefter                               phone: +1 705 725 9999 x26
The Software Group Limited                     fax: +1 705 725 9666
642 Welham Road,                             email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Barrie, Ontario CANADA  L4N 9A1                Web: www.wanware.com

Re: GPL/LGPL
Brian F. G. Bidulock
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:09:51 -0700

Steve,

> Based on Brian's "grep" e-mail, it appears that he believes that
> the GPL modules are not "mere aggregations" into the LiS
> tarball.

Files that compile into the "Library" (whether optionally or not)
cannot be considered mere aggregation.

As I said, you really need to talk to a Lawyer.

--brian

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

Re: GPL/LGPL
Dave Grothe
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:14:06 -0700

Are you going to start signing your e-mails:

Brian SCO-is-my-middle-name Bidulock

:)

-- Dave

At 04:09 PM 8/30/2006, Brian F. G. Bidulock wrote:

Steve,

> Based on Brian's "grep" e-mail, it appears that he believes that
> the GPL modules are not "mere aggregations" into the LiS
> tarball.

Files that compile into the "Library" (whether optionally or not)
cannot be considered mere aggregation.

As I said, you really need to talk to a Lawyer.

--brian

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

Re: GPL/LGPL
Brian F. G. Bidulock
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:19:49 -0700

Dave,

>    Are you going to start signing your e-mails:
>    Brian SCO-is-my-middle-name Bidulock

??? You lost me.

I have no affiliation to SCO.

However, I heard rumor (GrokLaw) LiS was derived from SCO (Caldera) sources.

--brian

Re: GPL/LGPL
Dave Grothe
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:24:15 -0700

You are making claims along the same lines as SCO:

Outrageous blanket claims concerning licensing. No specifics when asked.

SCO's case was recently thrown out of court.  I suggest that you give up on
yours as well.

-- Dave

At 04:19 PM 8/30/2006, Brian F. G. Bidulock wrote:

Dave,

>    Are you going to start signing your e-mails:
>    Brian SCO-is-my-middle-name Bidulock

??? You lost me.

I have no affiliation to SCO.

However, I heard rumor (GrokLaw) LiS was derived from SCO (Caldera) sources.

--brian

Re: GPL/LGPL
Brian F. G. Bidulock
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:33:24 -0700

Dave,

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Dave Grothe wrote:

>    You are making claims along the same lines as SCO:
>    Outrageous  blanket  claims  concerning  licensing.  No specifics when
>    asked.
>    SCO's  case was recently thrown out of court.  I suggest that you give
>    up on yours as well.

Well, then I suggest you remove and stop distributing the 27 files with
my copyright at the top in violation of the licensing terms under which
I provided them to you.

--brian

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

Re: GPL/LGPL
Dave Grothe
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:44:39 -0700

In my version, I count 11 ".h" files that have your name in the copyright
legend, and no ".c" files.  They are:

./include/sys/tpi.h
./include/sys/xti.h
./include/sys/xti_inet.h
./include/sys/xti_xti.h
./include/sys/xti_ip.h
./include/sys/xti_tcp.h
./include/sys/xti_udp.h
./include/xti/config.h
./include/xti/xti_local.h
./include/xti.h
./include/xti_inet.h

Those files are aggregated along with LiS, which allowed by the GPL.  NO LiS
source file includes any of these files.

I rather suspect that Steve's distribution has the same properties.  But if
you can count 27 files then you should tell him/us which files they are.

-- Dave

At 04:33 PM 8/30/2006, Brian F. G. Bidulock wrote:

Dave,

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Dave Grothe wrote:

>    You are making claims along the same lines as SCO:
>    Outrageous  blanket  claims  concerning  licensing.  No specifics when
>    asked.
>    SCO's  case was recently thrown out of court.  I suggest that you give
>    up on yours as well.

Well, then I suggest you remove and stop distributing the 27 files with
my copyright at the top in violation of the licensing terms under which
I provided them to you.

--brian

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

Re: GPL/LGPL
Brian F. G. Bidulock
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:48:12 -0700

Dave,

./include/tihdr.h
./include/timod.h
./include/sys/tihdr.h
./include/sys/timod.h
./include/sys/tpi.h
./include/sys/xti.h
./include/sys/xti_inet.h
./include/sys/xti_sctp.h
./include/sys/xti_xti.h
./include/sys/xti_ip.h
./include/sys/xti_tcp.h
./include/sys/xti_udp.h
./include/xti/config.h
./include/xti/tihdr.h
./include/xti/timod.h
./include/xti/xti_atm.h
./include/xti/xti.h
./include/xti/xti_inet.h
./include/xti/xti_ip.h
./include/xti/xti_local.h
./include/xti/xti_mosi.h
./include/xti/xti_osi.h
./include/xti/xti_sctp.h
./include/xti/xti_tcp.h
./include/xti/xti_udp.h
./include/xti.h
./include/xti_inet.h

Your license to copy and distribute these files is revoked.  Please
remove them from your website.

--brian

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

Re: GPL/LGPL
Dave Grothe
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 07:21:13 -0700

Sorry, Charlie.

From GNU GPL license version 2:

	In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the
	Program with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a
	volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other
	work under the scope of this License.

and

	You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the Program
	except as expressly provided under this License. Any attempt
	otherwise to copy, modify, sublicense or distribute the Program is
	void, and will automatically terminate your rights under this
	License. However,
	parties who have received copies, or rights, from you under this
	License will not have their licenses terminated so long as such
	parties remain in full compliance.

So you have no right to revoke the terms and conditions of the GPL.  And my
mere aggregation of these files is in full compliance.  Steve and others can
speak for themselves.

-- Dave