[Linux-streams] LiS-2.18.1
Hai Zaar
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 03:07:56 -0700

Author: Michael Goldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Patch

Re: [Linux-streams] LiS-2.18.1
Brian F. G. Bidulock
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 03:27:54 -0700

Hai,

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Hai Zaar wrote:

> Dear, List!
>
> Where can I find that mysterious openSS7 LiS-2.18.1 release?

Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] or me offline.

> LiS-2.18.0 fails to compile on 2.6.11. I've patched it manually, but
> I'm not sure if I did it right. Patch attached

Not enough.  You also have to change invalid length read()/write()
interface for getpmsg()/putpmsg() to an ioctl interface (i.e.
LIS_I_GETPMSG, LIS_I_PUTPMSG) because, unlike earlier kernels, 2.6.11
range checks the length before passing the read(2)/write(2) system call
onto the character device driver.

There are a number of other things.  Check back in the mail archive
if you don't want to use 2.18.1.

--brian

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦

Re: [Linux-streams] LiS-2.18.1
Hai Zaar
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 04:51:53 -0700

On 8/18/05, Brian F. G. Bidulock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hai,
>
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Hai Zaar wrote:
>
> > Dear, List!
> >
> > Where can I find that mysterious openSS7 LiS-2.18.1 release?
>
> Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] or me offline.
You mean its not free?

> > LiS-2.18.0 fails to compile on 2.6.11. I've patched it manually, but
> > I'm not sure if I did it right. Patch attached
>
> Not enough.  You also have to change invalid length read()/write()
> interface for getpmsg()/putpmsg() to an ioctl interface (i.e.
> LIS_I_GETPMSG, LIS_I_PUTPMSG) because, unlike earlier kernels, 2.6.11
> range checks the length before passing the read(2)/write(2) system call
> onto the character device driver.
>
> There are a number of other things.  Check back in the mail archive
> if you don't want to use 2.18.1.
>
> --brian
>

> > --
> > Zaar
>

> --
> Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
> http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
>                         ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
>                         ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

--
Zaar

Re: [Linux-streams] LiS-2.18.1
Brian F. G. Bidulock
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:42:55 -0700

Hai,

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Hai Zaar wrote:

> On 8/18/05, Brian F. G. Bidulock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hai,
> >
> > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Hai Zaar wrote:
> >
> > > Dear, List!
> > >
> > > Where can I find that mysterious openSS7 LiS-2.18.1 release?
> >
> > Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] or me offline.
> You mean its not free?

As in "freedom of speech", not "free beer".

--brian

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

Re: [Linux-streams] LiS-2.18.1
Hai Zaar
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:43:55 -0700

I always get confused by those GNU terms :)
Lets get it straight - do you I have to pay to use it legally?

On 8/18/05, Brian F. G. Bidulock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hai,
>
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Hai Zaar wrote:
>
> > On 8/18/05, Brian F. G. Bidulock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Hai,

> > > Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] or me offline.
> > You mean its not free?
>
> As in "freedom of speech", not "free beer".
>
> --brian
>

> --
> Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
> http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
>                         ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
>                         ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

--
Zaar

Re: [Linux-streams] LiS-2.18.1
Brian F. G. Bidulock
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:45:54 -0700

Hai,

No.  But you might have to pay to get access to it.

--brian

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

Re: [Linux-streams] LiS-2.18.1
Hai Zaar
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:46:54 -0700

You play tricky :)
What do you mean 'you _might_ have to pay...'

On 8/18/05, Brian F. G. Bidulock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hai,
>
> No.  But you might have to pay to get access to it.
>
> --brian
>
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Hai Zaar wrote:
>
> > I always get confused by those GNU terms :)
> > Lets get it straight - do you I have to pay to use it legally?
> >
> > On 8/18/05, Brian F. G. Bidulock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Hai,

> > > As in "freedom of speech", not "free beer".
> > >
> > > --brian
> > >

> > > --
> > > Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
> > > http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
> > >                         ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
> > >                         ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦
> > >

> > --
> > Zaar
>
> --
> Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
> http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
>                         ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
>                         ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

--
Zaar

Re: [Linux-streams] LiS-2.18.1
Brian F. G. Bidulock
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:49:55 -0700

Hai,

OpenSS7 charges for access to its CVS archive.  LiS 2.18.1 is
released under GPL.  If you can get it from somewhere else you
might not have to pay.

--brian

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Hai Zaar wrote:

> You play tricky :)
> What do you mean 'you _might_ have to pay...'
>
> On 8/18/05, Brian F. G. Bidulock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hai,
> >
> > No.  But you might have to pay to get access to it.
> >
> > --brian
> >
> > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Hai Zaar wrote:
> >
> > > I always get confused by those GNU terms :)

> > > --
> > > Zaar
> >
> > --
> > Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
> > http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
> >                         ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
> >                         ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦
> >

> --
> Zaar

Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

Re: [Linux-streams] LiS-2.18.1
Hai Zaar
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:55:54 -0700

Ok. Now I see of the picture :)

Thank for your time!

On 8/18/05, Brian F. G. Bidulock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hai,
>
> OpenSS7 charges for access to its CVS archive.  LiS 2.18.1 is
> released under GPL.  If you can get it from somewhere else you
> might not have to pay.
>
> --brian
>
> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Hai Zaar wrote:
>
> > You play tricky :)
> > What do you mean 'you _might_ have to pay...'
> >
> > On 8/18/05, Brian F. G. Bidulock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Hai,
> > >
> > > No.  But you might have to pay to get access to it.
> > >
> > > --brian

> > > --
> > > Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
> > > http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
> > >                         ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
> > >                         ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦
> > >

> > --
> > Zaar
>
> --
> Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
> http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
>                         ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
>                         ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

--
Zaar

Re: [Linux-streams] LiS-2.18.1
Brian F. G. Bidulock
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:09:54 -0700

Hai,

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Hai Zaar wrote:

> Ok. Now I see of the picture :)
>
> Thank for your time!

Good luck.  If you want to patch it yourself, take a look back through
the mail archive at the many posting on problems and changes.

--brian