[Linux-streams] LiS version for RedHat 7.3
Éric Lévénez
Sat, 01 Nov 2003 02:45:13 -0800

What version of LiS is the best for a RehHat 7.3 and it's 2.4.18-3 kernel ?
Can I use a 2.16.15 LiS or must I used an old LiS package ?

--
Éric Lévénez -- < http://www.levenez.com>
Unix is not only an OS, it's a way of life

Re: [Linux-streams] LiS version for RedHat 7.3
Brian F. G. Bidulock
Sat, 01 Nov 2003 02:58:15 -0800

Éric,

The 2.4.18-3 kernel is really munged.  I can't even get it to compile.

I download a pristine 2.4.18 kernel from kernel.org and compile it on
7.2.  LiS 2.16.15 then installs nicely.  Be careful to use the old
kgcc, 'cause LiS makefile does not perform stack alignment correctly
for gcc, resulting in kernel/LiS module mismatch.

--brian

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003, Éric Lévénez wrote:

> What version of LiS is the best for a RehHat 7.3 and it's 2.4.18-3
> kernel ?
> Can I use a 2.16.15 LiS or must I used an old LiS package ?
>
> --
> Éric Lévénez -- < http://www.levenez.com>
> Unix is not only an OS, it's a way of life

Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

Re: [Linux-streams] LiS version for RedHat 7.3
Éric Lévénez
Sat, 01 Nov 2003 03:47:51 -0800

Le 1 nov. 03, à 10:52, Brian F. G. Bidulock a écrit :

>The 2.4.18-3 kernel is really munged. I can't even get it to compile.

My customer want this kernel version, I can't change that. I can only
play with LiS version...

>I download a pristine 2.4.18 kernel from kernel.org and compile it on
>7.2.  LiS 2.16.15 then installs nicely.  Be careful to use the old
>kgcc, 'cause LiS makefile does not perform stack alignment correctly
>for gcc, resulting in kernel/LiS module mismatch.

Doesn't LiS use kgcc automatically on RedHat 7.3 ?

>On Sat, 01 Nov 2003, Éric Lévénez wrote:

>>What version of LiS is the best for a RehHat 7.3 and it's 2.4.18-3
>>kernel ?
>>Can I use a 2.16.15 LiS or must I used an old LiS package ?
--
Éric Lévénez -- < http://www.levenez.com>
Unix is not only an OS, it's a way of life

Re: [Linux-streams] LiS version for RedHat 7.3
David Grothe
Mon, 03 Nov 2003 10:53:20 -0800

We have been using the "latest" version of LiS with RH 7.3 successfully here for months with
several different versions of LiS. So 2.16.15 should be fine.
-- Dave

At 03:39 AM 11/1/2003 Saturday, Éric Lévénez wrote:
>What version of LiS is the best for a RehHat 7.3 and it's 2.4.18-3 kernel ?
>Can I use a 2.16.15 LiS or must I used an old LiS package ?

>--
>Éric Lévénez -- < http://www.levenez.com>
>Unix is not only an OS, it's a way of life

Re: [Linux-streams] LiS version for RedHat 7.3
Éric Lévénez
Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:02:07 -0800

Le 3 nov. 03, à 18:47, David Grothe a écrit :

>We have been using the "latest" version of LiS with RH 7.3 successfully here for months with
>several different versions of LiS. So 2.16.15 should be fine.

I have try this LiS version today. I have some errors with clone open drivers and push/autopush
modules. I have to check in this mailing list archived what has changed in LiS and what to do...

Éric.

--
Éric Lévénez -- < http://www.levenez.com>
Unix is not only an OS, it's a way of life

Re: [Linux-streams] LiS version for RedHat 7.3
David Grothe
Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:32:17 -0800

At 12:57 PM 11/3/2003 Monday, Éric Lévénez wrote:
>Le 3 nov. 03, à 18:47, David Grothe a écrit :

>We have been using the "latest" version of LiS with RH 7.3 successfully here for months
>with several different versions of LiS.
>So 2.16.15 should be fine.

>I have try this LiS version today. I have some errors with clone open drivers and
>push/autopush modules. I have to check in this mailing list archived what has changed in LiS
>and what to do...

Autopush was recently "fixed" (LiS-2.16.15). Obviously you will need to make LiS from a fresh
install with your LiS Config file that includes the autopush definitions. If you are having
trouble with it, could you investigate and let me know what seems to be wrong?

Thanks,
Dave