Linux Mint 2.0 "Barbara"
November 13, 2006
This release is based on Ubuntu 6.10 and uses the Ubuntu installer.
The desktop is Gnome 2.16.1 and the kernel is 2.6.17.
Barbara comes with the following plugins:
- Macromedia Flash 9 beta
- Sun Java 1.5 Update 9
- Realplayer 10
Support for MP3, Windows and various codecs, encrypted DVDs is installed by default.
Barbara comes with Amarok 1.4.4 instead of Rhythmbox.
The default artwork is a blue version of the "Human" theme.
Linux Mint 2.1 "Bea"
December 20, 2006
Happy Christmas! Linux Mint 2.1 codename "Bea" is out and available for download
Many thanks to all the people who contributed to the project and to the users who
posted their feedback and suggestions on the forums. Bea is a huge step forward
and comes with a lot of changes compared to the last release.
Two new applications made their way into Linux Mint:
- OpenOffice 2.1-Impress (Calc and Writer also got upgraded to version 2.1)
This is probably the biggest improvement in Bea: A brand new desktop. Linux Mint
2.1 comes with mintDesktop, which adds a lot of desktop improvements:
Better Wifi support
- Quick access to the computer and home places
- Quick access to the terminal from the context menu
- Ability to delete files directly without sending them to the Trash
- mintDesktop home folders
- Beagle search
- Tomboy notes
- Network manager
Bea comes with mintWifi, which purpose is to allow you to configure your wireless
card without an Internet connection. mintWifi comes with the following:
- Ndiswrapper and Ndisgtk
- Cabextractor and unshield
- Tutorials to install and configure your Wifi card
- A collection of Wifi drivers to support about 40 different wireless card
Better Web browsing
- Bea comes with new artwork: new LiveCD splash, new usplash and GDM screens.
- Help is now "one click away". As our community is growing it seemed important
that users could find help and support in the easiest possible way. To achieve
this Xchat-Gnome was modified to automatically connect to the Linux Mint IRC
channel, and Firefox now features Linux Mint bookmarks pointing at the website
Web browsing was good in Barbara, but as some of you pointed out, it wasn't good
And a few surprises...
- Realplayer 10 was replaced with the Mplayer plugins so you can now enjoy
Quicktime, AVI, MPG and a lot of other web content.
- The Flash plugin was upgraded to version 9 Beta 2.
- Support for ipv6 was disabled to make your Internet connection and Web browsing
- Firefox 2.0 was tweaked so that it does go back to the previous page when
you press the backspace key
- For those of you who have nvidia cards there's a little surprise in Bea
- For those of you who like to mount stuff, PyMou was added to the command
- For those of you who love using Amarok we added support for MusicBrainz
- For those of you who need to extract RAR archives we included unrar
- For those of you who really like Flash, we included the Flash player
- And for those of you who like playing with the terminal, we put a little
surprise in there too :)
Copyright 2006 http://linuxmint.com/