Linux-Mandrake 7.1 (Helium) availability
We are very pleased to announce the immediate availability of Linux-Mandrake 7.1
Linux-Mandrake 7.1 continues to build upon and refine the many innovations first
introduced in version 7.0 and adds many new features certain to please beginners
and experts alike.
The Linux-Mandrake 7.1 GPL archive now spans one or two CDROMS to bring you the
best and most up-to-date applications available, but you can still install a complete
system with the first CDROM.
The 7.1 highlights include: support for multiple Cd-Roms at installation time,
a new journalised filesystem, a highly tuned Apache web server and a web-based configuration
tool that allows remote configuration of a Linux-Mandrake system through a web browser.
"Linux-Mandrake 7.1 is our latest offering which provides a complete and powerful
operating system ideal for most needs - from the home user to the demands of an
enterprise with high-performance servers, and all at low cost. With the ergonomic
improvements and server solutions provided with this release, Linux-Mandrake 7.1
has a great chance of becoming the new Linux standard for both enterprise and home
use." declared Jacques Le Marois, President of MandrakeSoft.
Linux-Mandrake 7.1 is now available for download from many locations throughout
the Internet. The boxed version, including commercial applications, printed manuals
and support will be available in retail outlets at the end of June, 2000.
Here's a sampling of some of the most noteworthy benefits:
- Linux-Mandrake 7.1 introduces a new menuing system. Applications now appear
in the same categories under all graphical environments and update automatically
as new packages are installed or removed.
- Linux-Mandrake 7.1 offers the new Reiser journalised file system as an option
within the new DrakX graphical installer and after installation with DiskDrake,
the graphical hard drive partitioning application.
- A highly customized version of Webmin is included. Webmin uses the familiar
interface of a web browser to easily setup user accounts, configure Apache,
DNS, FTP, view system statistics and most other system/server tasks. Webmin
can be used remotely from another PC and even from other operating systems simply
by using a web browser.
- Apache 1.3.12 is enhanced with the latest high-performance offerings from
the "Accelerating Apache Project" and provides out-of-the-box support for Php3,
Perl and Ssl extensions.
- Cutting-edge XFree 4.0 servers with new modular architecture is available
in the "Expert" installation class, XFree 3.3.6 is standard for other classes.
- The Grub user-friendly bootloader is now provided as default. LILO is an
optional bootloader in an "Expert" install. Both Grub and LILO now overcome
the 1024-cylinder limit.
- Helix Code Gnome improvements are incorporated into the Linux-Mandrake 7.1
Gnome-Sawfish desktop environment.
- DrakFont is our new open-source font manager for Linux-Mandrake 7.1. This
utility provides an easy and convenient way to manage fonts on a Linux system.
DrakFont can add, remove and even retrieve Ms-Windows fonts (if located on the
same machine) and make these fonts available to Linux applications.
- Kernel 2.2.15 with Linux-Mandrake extensions (secure kernel, supermount
- ATA 66 (UDMA 66) is supported for users seeking the highest-performance
from IDE hard drives.
- i810-based mainboards are now supported in Linux-Mandrake 7.1.
- Enhanced USB support for modems, printers, ZIP drives, keyboards and mice.
- "Wheel" mice are fully functional within most applications (Netscape, GNOME,
KDE, many others).
Linux-Mandrake 7.1 continues to provide features that aren't available in any
other Linux distributions such as Supermount (transparent access to removable media),
MSec (Linux security levels), multi-language support and processor optimizations.
Try Linux-Mandrake 7.1 today and see for yourself why Linux-Mandrake is becoming
the preferred choice for both new and advanced users alike.