Re: IETF BOF

Don Brutzman (brutzman@cs.nps.navy.mil)
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 19:09:06 -0800 (PST)

Brian Behlendorf writes:
> p.s. - Spent the week at various IETF meetings - does anyone suppose
> we'll have enough implementation experience to ask for a BOF meeting at
> the April IETF in Massachusetts?

This is a good plan. I expect that these are the major facets we will be
working on as time progresses:

- vrml 1.0 rendering & connection semantics and syntax } we are
- vrml browsers } here
- adding behaviors and behavior engines
- defining temporal relations, local and networked
- adding different types of network connectivity such as sockets, multicast,
Distributed Interactive Simulation (DIS) protocol and possibly other
networked VR implementation hooks
- deciding what a vrtp server might need to support the evolving paradigm
- specifying and building vrtp

Your emphasis on "implementation experience" is well placed since
results are essential when making networking design decisions.
The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) is the appropriate forum
for people to pursue these internetwork-related issues. April is not
too soon to talk about these things. The following IETF will be in
Stockholm Sweden and will be harder for most of us to attend.

regards, Don

--
Don Brutzman   Naval Postgraduate School, Code OR/Br     work 408.656.2149
               Monterey California 93943-5000 USA        fax  408.656.2595