Re: Inlining, name scoping, defining

Don Brutzman (brutzman@cs.nps.navy.mil)
Mon, 17 Oct 1994 19:13:02 -0700 (PDT)

Linas Vepstas writes:

> >From: "Gavin Bell" <gavin@krypton.engr.sgi.com>
> >If you allow objects to refer to objects in other files, it is possible
> >for a user to:
> > --- read in a scene
> > --- interactively edit it in memory
> > --- be unable to write the scene back out
>
> I'm not sure I beleive this.I begin by noting:
> (1) I can't edit other peoples html doc's and write them
>back (unless they grant me authority).
> (2) The problems of maintaining various parent/child,
>tree/traversal relationships you touch on below
>are not unique to 3D, but occur in any 2D hypertext
>system. (In particular, look at multiple, linked
>(financial) speardsheets.)

You can write out other people's .html when you forward it via mail,
save it as a binary, or cache it. Modifying is not provided as an
option (in any www browser I know) but .vrml links to other nodes do
provide a modification capability. The problem is real.

r/Don

--
Don Brutzman                                           work (408) 656-2149
Code OR/Br   Naval Postgraduate School  [Glasgow 204]  fax  (408) 656-2595