Re: Office Space ;) and coordinate systems

Robert.Foster@radiology.msu.edu
Fri, 9 Sep 94 15:50:10 EDT

:: Date: Tue, 6 Sep 1994 14:20:41 +0500
:: From: gtn@ebt.com (Gavin Nicol)
:: To: www-vrml@wired.com
:: Subject: Re: Office Space ;) and coordinate systems
::
:: >My point is precisely that we will not be able to get the world to agree on
:: >a single set of development tools, a single "language" for definition of VR
:: >scenes, so we should at least come up with a way to integrate pieces that
:: >people produce using disparate systems.
::
:: While I agree with the sentiments expounded here, I cannot for the
:: life of me see how this leads to the forgone conclusion that we must
:: use an API. I would tend to argue that just as no single language will
:: suffice for every task, netiher will one single API, and in fact, the
:: API approach is probably even more restrictive. Besides, can't the API
:: be embedded into the scripting language....
::
::

I think that I originally touched on this in a previous posting but I
would like to clarify what I was referring to.

A GUI(Graphical User Interface) that presents objects in browser mode or
in design mode that the user can view/manipulate is the idea that I was
trying to get at. Since the data for the VR objects would be resident in
memory, or on disc, for viewing the data could be output in various file
formats and then sent/saved. One such format would have to be VRML.

Robert K. Foster
Analyst / Designer / Programmer
Mid-Michigan MRI, Inc., Lansing, MI, USA
rkf@rad.msu.edu