Re: Scripts vs APIs

John Ellson (ellson@hotsand.att.com)
Thu, 8 Sep 94 00:08:01 EDT

Apologies for my last abortive post which failed to add anything
to the discussion.

I wanted to express a concern about Linas' position that VRML should
be purely declarative.

I hope that VRML will at least have variables and the ability to
define interpreted procedures and iterators so that
regular geometric objects can be described efficiently over the net?
If I have variables in the language don't I need a verb in the language
to set the variable?

It seems to me that there would be a great loss in efficiency
without an ability to express structures in a procedural fashion.

For example, in tsipp (a tcl extension) I can write:

set metal_dull [SippShaderStrauss 0.4 0.2 0.9 {0.6 0.33 0.27}]
set cornerBlock [SippBlock {.5 .5 5} $metal_dull WORLD]
SippObjectMove $cornerBlock {-3.75 -2.25 0}
set cornerBlock [SippObjectInstance $cornerBlock]
SippObjectMove $cornerBlock {3.75 -2.25 0}

which uses variables and procedures to describe two dull-metal blocks.
How can I do this efficiently without them?

What aspects of procedural languages in general do you see as a
problem in VRML? Is it just a concern about the readability of stack
based languages such as postscript?

BTW. I support the idea that VRML should be an interpreted language,
but aren't there many possible interpreted procedural languages that
aren't stack based? e.g. tcl, python, perl, rexx (presumably with 3d extensions)

John.Ellson@att.com