Re: Standardizing coordinate systems, units of measure

D. Owen Rowley (owen@autodesk.com)
Mon, 15 Aug 1994 13:09:45 -0700

> From: linas@innerdoor.austin.ibm.com (Linas Vepstas)
> The need for staadardization is for a far more practical reason.
> Consider this: I have just entered a new virtual space. Because
> the initial camera orientation is part of the vrml spec, so far
> everything is OK. But now I want to "walk" (take a "step" or "stride"
> by "one-half meter") in the "forward" direction. How far is that?
> In what direction?

on this basic level, i generally pull it altogether into the simple
concept that we are talking about virtual *space*.
and that in order to interact with a virtual space you need the same sort of
constraints and default consensis that comes already present with
objective space.

LUX ./. owen