Re: Distributed Interactive Simulation (DIS)

Annard Brouwer (annard@baub.bwk.tue.nl)
Fri, 1 Jul 94 15:13:57 +0200

Kevin R. Martin wrote:
> Discussion and evolution of a VRML would be incomplete
> without considering the work of DIS (and SIMNET). DIS is
> actually more along the lines of multi (10-10,000?) player
> interactive VR rather than VR based information navagation as VRML
> seems to be heading, but it's still worth looking at.

Hello,

Perhaps this is a good point to introduce myself. I'm a student at the
Eindhoven University of Technology in the Netherlands doing a
graduation research project at the Calibre Institute of the faculty of
Building Research and Education, after finishing this project I hope to
get an MSc in Electrical Engineering/Information-Technology.
My graduation reseach is about the multi-site part of a multi-user,
multi-site VR tool for building teams which is being developed at this
institute.
I did some exhaustive literature research into current public domain
implementations of distributed VR and I also have taken a look at
SIMNET/DIS. If you think it might be of interest to the vrml-discussion
I would like to ask you to read my report I wrote about it. It is
available through gopher in both PostScript and ASCII:
gopher:://gopher.tue.nl/11/TUECIS/Bouwkunde/baub/bi/research/"VR Research
Report"
Comments are appreciated!

Thanks,
Annard