Re: LANG: OOGL (was Re: LANG: Re: scalability (VRML))

Mark Waks (justin@dsd.camb.inmet.com)
Tue, 21 Jun 94 10:46:44 EDT

Sam writes:
>Then base it on the same ISO standard that HTML is based on -- ISO 8879,
>Standard Generalized Markup Language.

Apples and Oranges. HTML works well as a subset of SGML because it is
*mostly* doing exactly what SGML was intended for -- marking up text.
Our application is almost entirely different. I'm very nearly certain
that attempting to use SGML as our basis would be a disaster, because
it's just not intended for this sort of purpose. (Does SGML have *any*
relevant commands? I'd be surprised...)

Using standards is a Good Thing, but you have to pick the right standard...

-- Justin

Random Quote du Jour:

"Some people simply should *not* be allowed to play around nerve gas."
-- Professor Moriarty