Re: LANG: Object Sharing

Daniel D. Todd (ddtodd@ucdavis.edu)
Thu, 16 Jun 1994 00:26:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 15 Jun 1994, Jeff Suttor wrote:

> Jerry Isdale writes:
> > teletype equivilent. If the person doesnt have a 3d graphic renderer, then
> > they dont get the benefit of VRML. Oh ok, they can read the ascii version
> > of the world description. Ho Hum.
>
> Descriptive video isn't 'ho hum' for the print/visually impaired.
> For many people, it's a chance to use adaptive technologies &
> participate in the info world.

This is getting a little afar from field. #D graphics, which are a major
part of the project here, adre by their very nature a visual experience.
To someone interested in accessing and representing data this way
descriptive ascii is ho hum, there are tons of applications that can
already supply this. while for the visually impaired it is critical and
a whole lot better than no description of the world, I think we can feel
pretty safe in not designing our 3d world to best suit the visually
impaired individuals. In the same fashion most musicians don't write
their music for hearing impaired audiences. That being said, I do think
it is important to allow some form of ascii description of the world for
both the computationally and visually impaired.

cheers,
Dan

* Daniel D. Todd Packet: KC6UUD@KE6LW.#nocal.ca.usa *
* Internet: ddtodd@ucdavis.edu *
* Snail Mail: 1750 Hanover #102 *
* Davis CA 95616 *
* All opinions expressed herein are completely ficticious any *
* resemblence to actual opinions of persons living or dead is *
* completely coincidental. *